Consistent shortcuts for browsing pictures

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Requested Consistent shortcuts for browsing pictures

I want to address something that bugs me a lot in IrfanView. It's an otherwise great program, but I couldn't help but notice how inconsistent keyboard shortcuts are for browsing pictures. At first, arrow keys and Home/End/PageUp/PageDown work for navigating from one picture to another, but once you zoomed in, they suddenly switch to scrolling the current image. If you check "Jump always to next image if Arrow or Page keys are pressed" in options, then you cannot use those for zooming. On top of all, this works differently in fullscreen and normal mode. For example, with the above option checked, arrow keys will still scroll within the picture in normal mode.

I also tried turning on and off another option - "use right mouse button for scrolling/context menu" - and various combinations of this option with the above one, but nothing helps.

This confuses the hell out of me because I can never remember how it works - it's illogical and inconsistent, and it's one of the two reasons why I switched from ACDSee 2.44 to IrfanView only relatively recently. Sorry for bringing up ACDSee here, but they've got their shortcuts right. Have a look at this:
    • PageUp/PageDown - always moves to next/prev image
    • Home/End - always goes to the first/last image
    • Arrow (cursor) keys - always scroll within the current image (if it's zoomed in and doesn't fit on the screen, of course)
    • +, - on the Num keypad - zoom in/out
    • *, / on the Num keypad - fit to screen/show original size

And when I say always, I mean regardless of whether it's fullscreen or no.

It would be great to see this implemented in IrfanView. It's so much better than ACDSee, it deserves nice shortcuts as well. I would do it myself but IrfanView is not open-source, nor does it allow to customize keyboard shortcuts. So my only option is to point out, suggest and hope.

Thanks for reading.
    Last edited by bohdan; 10.01.2010, 06:37 AM.

I have to agree with you. This aspect of Irfan View is a dog's dinner.

I hope that we will soon get the option to customise the keyboard to our own preferences.

Meanwhile, if one uses the Fit image to Window option (F), some of the problems are circumvented since one never has to scroll within the image.
    Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

"dog's dinner" - LOL! Yes, it certainly isn't the cat's meow, and it's much too complicated for sleepy minds.
      Its: Belongs to "It"
      It's: Shortened form of "It is"
      ---------------------
      Lose: Fail to keep
      Loose: Not tight

---------------------
      Plurals do not require apostrophes

Comment

Added Customisable Shortcuts to Project List
        Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

Working...
        X