v4.23/v4.00: printer setup box will not work

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Reported v4.23/v4.00: printer setup box will not work

When I have a document open (JPG, TIF, BMP, doesn't seem to matter type) and I try to print, I have problems. I select File, Print which pulls up the "Print Preview" dialogue box. Depending on the printer selected in the pulldown box, an arbitrary paper size is selected. If I click "Printer Setup" to change the paper size or other options, it doesn't respond, it just sits there.

I have had some luck changing the Windows Printing preferences for a specific printer and printing so that I don't have to click "Printer Setup", but essentially the Print setup button does nothing.

Any suggestions? I'm running now, Irfanview 4.00 with XP, Dell Precision 380, 2 GB, etc. I first noticed the problem around version 3.98 or 3.99. I was hoping that it would have been corrected in the latest release, but perhaps I am the only one experiencing it. Thanks.

-Matt
    Virginia

Hi Matt,

Sometimes I have a similar problem, but it happens only when I want to print on a network printer (a printer attached to another computer on a network). If I wait long enough, I get a response. This is because the network or the computer where the printer is attached is slow (busy).
    - Do you also try to print via a network?
    - Is IrfanView the only program causing printing problems?
    - Do you encounter this problem even with small images?

Laurent
    Before you post ... fill in your OS and IV version in your profile.

Comment

Originally posted by Laurent View Post
      Hi Matt,

Sometimes I have a similar problem, but it happens only when I want to print on a network printer (a printer attached to another computer on a network). If I wait long enough, I get a response. This is because the network or the computer where the printer is attached is slow (busy).
      - Do you also try to print via a network?
      - Is IrfanView the only program causing printing problems?
      - Do you encounter this problem even with small images?

Laurent
      Yes, absolutely.
      Yes again.
      Yes.

I have had to use (gasp!) windows picture viewer because Irfanview wouldn't allow me to select anything but A4 paper. I still use Irfanview and have not deleted it, but it is frustrating.

Comment

Hi Matt,

All this makes me think that the problem comes from the use of your network (I encountered similar things when printing with several programs: Adobe Reader, OpenOffice, ... IrfanView). But I have no idea of the real cause (network configuration? printer driver? ...).

Laurent
        Before you post ... fill in your OS and IV version in your profile.

Comment

I have the same issue....it seems to be caused by the printers being connected using the fully qualified domain name.

For example:

\\servername.domainname.internal\HP Deskjet 560 = printer setup doesn't work
          \\servername\HP Deskjet 560 = printer setup works

Comment

Working...
          X