Switch to Naked window

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Requested Switch to Naked window

Sometimes I like to put a pic up on my desktop and leave it there during the day. I'm doing that right now with some candidates for my next motorcycle.

I'd like to have a button which switches the Irfanview instance (this would not be a persistent setting) interface to naked - that is, no title bar, menu bare, tool bar, or status bar. Ideally there would be some way to bring back Full mode.

Thanks,
    p.

Menu->View->Show/Hide caption
    and so on

Comment

There is an even quicker way. Using the "Open in external editor" feature, make one of the externals a batchfile. Mine reads:
      Code:
      D:\Grafix\Irfan_View\i_view32.exe %1 /hide=15
      You have to manually enter the batchfile's path into the options dialog widow because the durned browse-to will only accept an EXE file, but it works fine.
      Its: Belongs to "It"
      It's: Shortened form of "It is"
      ---------------------
      Lose: Fail to keep
      Loose: Not tight

---------------------
      Plurals do not require apostrophes

Comment

Control Shift S is even easier.
        Then Control Shift P at the end of the day, or before setting a different image as the desktop wallpaper.

Why make things complicated?
        Last edited by Bhikkhu Pesala; 27.10.2007, 11:16 AM.
        Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan Paint • Irfan View Help • IrfanPaint Help • Riot.dll • More Skins • FastStone Capture • Uploads

Comment

We want window, not wallpaper.
          Its: Belongs to "It"
          It's: Shortened form of "It is"
          ---------------------
          Lose: Fail to keep
          Loose: Not tight

---------------------
          Plurals do not require apostrophes

Comment

Yes, I'm not looking for wallpaper, though that's a neat trick.

matera, doing it manually via the menu is laborsome. That batch file trick is neat. It's working flawlessly here. But it raises the question of also automatically closing both the console and the original IV window. I've got the console running Minimized by linking to a link to the batch file, whose Properties I set to Minimize. But on XP I can't find a command that exits the command window.

Closing the spawning IV window might be even more tricky, as there might be multiple IV windows open. I would think IV would have an option to close itself upon transference to an external editor, but I don't see it.

Thanks for that answer. Shift-e now spawns a frameless picture!

p.

Comment

Very good idea! Hotkey for show/hide everything (i.e. going to "naked mode")

Comment

Have you tried the batch file?

Comment

not yet, but I'm sure it works.
                  still:
                  But it raises the question of also automatically closing both the console and the original IV window.

Comment

Not really. Use a shortcut to the EXE instead and the console window will close even before IrfanView launches!

Comment

really? cool.
                      Still leaves you with 2 IV instances instead of one, no ?

Comment

No, shortcut is in the batch file, so only one instance. You could eliminate the batch file and just use a shortcut, but it will be limiting.

Comment

Hm, initially my .cmd file looked like this:

D:\appz\IrfanView\i_view32.exe %1 /hide=15

And I ended up with 3 windows: original IV window + console window + new IV window.
                          Then I made a .lnk file pointing to the exe and changed the .cmd file accordingly:

D:\appz\IrfanView\i_view32.lnk %1 /hide=15

Now, while the original IV window is open, a console window opens and closes immediately and then a second (naked) IV window opens. That's what you seem to suggest. But I still have two IV instances ...

And in what way would it be limiting to do without a batch file ?

Comment

You don't need the original IV window. I thought you were starting the batch file from scratch. Sounds like your calling the batch file as an external editor. You would then expect two, but that can be bypassed.

Originally posted by boarder's paradise View Post
                            Hm, initially my .cmd file looked like this:

And I ended up with 3 windows: original IV window + console window + new IV window.
                            Code:
                            exit
                            This will close the console window after IrfanView is closed. If you make a shortcut to the batch file, you can also specify that the console be minimized. Additionally, this allows you to make a shortcut key.

Then I made a .lnk file pointing to the exe and changed the .cmd file accordingly:

Now, while the original IV window is open, a console window opens and closes immediately and then a second (naked) IV window opens. That's what you seem to suggest. But I still have two IV instances ...
                            Code:
                            @echo off
                            D:\appz\IrfanView\i_view32.lnk /killmesoftly
                            This should hopefully solve your problem, unless you need all other instances for some reason. First line will turn off text. Not really necessary if you chose the minimize option I mentioned earlier.

And in what way would it be limiting to do without a batch file ?
                            You cannot drop a file or folder name on to any IrfanView shortcut that has a command line option. The batch file solves this. You can however, have the shortcut to the batch file and drop on that. Don't know if you find that important.

Comment

sorry for the late reply.

Originally posted by Skippybox View Post
                              Sounds like your calling the batch file as an external editor.
                              yes

Code:
                              @echo off
                              D:\appz\IrfanView\i_view32.lnk /killmesoftly
                              good idea, that works. thanks a lot !

Comment

Working...
                              X