it takes way too long and i forgot why i signed up

it makes it more difficult for web 2.0 casual use

put the forum on lockdown or something if theres a problem

its 2012

thanks anyway

edit;
    at least mods don't have to approve threads

Just how long did it take?

As a moderator, I am not responsible for approving new member sign ups, that is done by the site Admin, but not having to delete spam at all sure saves a lot of my time.

Casual users on other forums I manage who sign up, ask a question, then vanish with no trace without even acknowledging the reply are a waste of everyone's time too.

If you use IrfanView regularly, surely its worth waiting to get your membership approved? Anyone can browse the forums even before they have posting rights.
    Last edited by Bhikkhu Pesala; 31.10.2012, 08:25 AM.
    Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

Hi,

users have to activate their account via mail (click on a activation link). After that I have to unlock the account.

Due to massive fake registrations + spamming this is absolutly neccessary here. If i won´t do that then approx. every third post in this forum will be about "drugs, holiday, bags, shoes" and other stuff + it will take a long time for moderators and me to delete all this spam/junk/ad.

Stefan

Comment

Hi,

that's right. Since the admin changed the registration settings the amount of SPAM is almost down to zero.
        Thank's, Stefan!

Regards
        Nils

Comment

Hi!

I've just joined and I must say I was a little surprised that it took 25 hours for my account to be activated.
          Maybe the moderators could also be allowed to unlock new accounts to speed up the process and to save the busy admin some time?

This message was displayed after I clicked the email "activate account" link:
          "... Your account has been submitted for moderation by an administrator and will be activated shortly. ..."

Maybe it should say something like
          "... Your account has been submitted for moderation by an administrator and will be activated shortly. This may take a day or so. ..."
          to give new members an idea of how long it will take.

Anyway, thanks for activating me, and thanks for the fantastic program!

Comment

Just wondering: if the board has this registration process, why is it we get a daily dose of fresh "silly" user-ids logged in? There was a bout of these a few months back, and it has been going on for the past week or so again.

currently running 4.56 / 32 bit

Comment

Hi,

non-activated users appear in the userlist as "normal" users, but they´re in the "users awaiting email confirmation" group.

For example this user:

Appears as a normal "user" but it´s a spammer (and is not possible to post here).

Stefan

Comment

Working...
              X