Zoom/Crop Selection in IV 4.10

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Zoom/Crop Selection in IV 4.10

If I zoom in on an image so that I can see the whole of it, and then select a portion of it for cropping, when I go to Edit > Crop Selection the selection moves upward, cutting off the bottom of the selection and adding unwanted parts of the picture to the top of the selection.

This didn't happen in IV 4.00. Nor does it happen in 4.10 if I make the selection from the full image without using the zoom.

I have reverted to 4.00 until this bug can be fixed.

Can't confirm.
    But I had some odd things with 4.10 too. Which vanished when I reinstalled with the version at Tucows.
    Rest In Peace, Sam!

Comment

If you find what you think is a bug, try to provide a recipe to reproduce it reliably. If others can confirm it, then it can be fixed. If no one can confirm it, what can Irfan or anyone else do? If you just uninstall the program and don't supply any system information or other details, then what is the use of your bug report?
      Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

Originally posted by Bhikkhu Pesala View Post
        If you find what you think is a bug, try to provide a recipe to reproduce it reliably. If others can confirm it, then it can be fixed. If no one can confirm it, what can Irfan or anyone else do? If you just uninstall the program and don't supply any system information or other details, then what is the use of your bug report?
        The recipe is as stated in my original post.

- load an image
        - zoom in so that the whole image is visible
        - make a selection
        - go to the Edit menu and choose Crop Selection
        - compare the original selection with the crop
        - in all cases the resulting crop has slipped upwards, cutting off material at the bottom and including an equivalent amount of unwanted material at the bottom

My system is WinXP Home Edition, and is no stranger to IrfanView.

I took Sam_Zen's suggestion and redownloaded the install file from Tucows, and installed IV 4.10 on my external drive. The results were identical. The crops match the selection only when they are made from the full (unzoomed) image.

I see there are other threads in this forum about the 4.10 zoom, outlining different problems. Perhaps they could be related? I am not qualified to say. I am merely reporting my experience.

Possibly it isn't a bug, but it is consistent and reproducible in my WinXP machine, and it has never occurred with any of the other versions of IrfanView that I have been using for years.

I do realize though, that no one can say that anything is a bug until others have been able to reproduce it. Hence my reason for posting.

As to reverting to IV 4.00, I have done so because it serves me better for this particular (and to me important) process. However, I still have IV 4.10 on my machine and will follow any useful suggestions that people may have.

Comment

Originally posted by recluse1866 View Post
          - zoom in so that the whole image is visible
          Don't you mean zoom out? Or are you loading a small image and zooming in to fit it to the screen?
          in all cases the resulting crop has slipped upwards, cutting off material at the bottom and including an equivalent amount of unwanted material at the bottom
          Don't you mean ... unwanted material at the top?

I cannot reproduce the problem at all. What settings are you using on View, Display Options? Is resample on or off? What is your graphics card and screen resolution?
          Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

Yes, I meant "zoom out". And yes, I meant "unwanted material at the top". That's what comes of writing at four in the morning.

The Display settings are "fit window to image" and "center image in window". Resample is on. Graphics card is ATI Radeon 9250 (RV280).

Thanks.

Comment

I wondered about that zoom-direction too, but now the recipe is clear. And I still can't reproduce this. (W2K)
              Rest In Peace, Sam!

Comment

Originally posted by Sam_Zen View Post
                I wondered about that zoom-direction too, but now the recipe is clear. And I still can't reproduce this. (W2K)
                I wish I couldn't reproduce it!

However, obviously the problem is mine alone, and fortunately it is easily solved. I have dropped back to 4.00 and will try 4.2 when it is released. Meanwhile thank you for listening, and for your patience with my rather confused descriptions of the problem.

Comment

I'm experiencing nearly the same thing, so rather than start a new thread, let me explain it step by step.

1) I'll copy a photo into an empty screen of Irfanview.
                  2) Then open a new, empty 1200x1800 pixel image.
                  3) Zoom out on image in step 1 to about 40% or until I see whole image.
                  Crop the image and make note of the size (i.e. .410), then copy.

4) Highlight a box in the step 2 image that's the same size as that of the cropped image (.410)

5) Paste.

The resulting image always appears several inches above the highlighted box, whereas in version 4.0, the paste was perfectly inserted.

I've noted that if I don't zoom out and paste an image, there's no problem.
                  Since I can't make use of Irfanpaint until there's the ability to outline an area, and use the enhance colorsand copy and paste functions a la Paint Shop Pro, I'm going to reinstall 4.0 until the bug is fixed. It's also possible that it can't be reproduced on certain OS like Vista or various versions of Win XP.

Comment

Still cannot reproduce, but noticed another bug with custom selections and zoom where the width and height of the selection change by one or two pixels when the image is zoomed in. Just how much movement are we talking about here?
                    Last edited by Bhikkhu Pesala; 07.11.2007, 05:54 PM.

Comment

I have the crop bug too.

1. I create a chart in MS-Excel.

2. Paste it as extended metafile in Powerpoint

3. Save as EMF from Powerpoint.

4. Open in IrfanView.

5. Zoom out to see the whole chart (ctrl+mousewheel).

6. Select the area I want to keep.

7. Crop selection.

8. Save as TIF.

When I reopen the TIF, there is extra blank space at the top while some of the bottom has been removed.

Seems it doesn't happen every time, but more often than not. Very annoying.

Comment

I have similar issues but I may be doing something wrong.

When I crop from an entire image, I select the portion of the image I wish to retain then use the menu-edit-crop selection. What is left is the rectangle I selected but it seems to have a border around it. If i save and reuse the image, it still has the border.

I recall that is earlier versions of Irfanview, I could crop and the remaining image moved to the top left of the screen and became the new image - without any border. Exactly what i wanted.

I am using Windows Vista professional and Irfanview 4.10

Does anyone know where I can obtain an earlier version of Irfanview?

Comment

One can find 4.00 in my archive
                          Rest In Peace, Sam!

Comment

Working...
                          X