Group JPG + RAW files

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Requested Group JPG + RAW files

My camera produces both .JPG and .CR2 files for the same picture. Currently, IrfanView treats each file as a separate picture and hence I have to press 'next' twice to get to the next picture. It would be nice if IrfanView could recognize that actually, these files represent the same picture and hence would be treated as one picture.

Furthermore, (perhaps more importantly), when deleting one of these files through IrfanView, it would be nice if it would automatically delete the other one too.

Thanks,
    JP

(bump)

I guess nobody else has a use for .jpg and .cr2 files being deleted simultaneously?

JP

Comment

Perhaps they are not too bothered about it.

Assuming you have set to Sort by name the files will all be in pairs, a CR2 and a JPG. If you get used to using keys rather than clicking on icons then it is easy enough to double click on either forward arrow key or spacebar to move on 2 images at a time. If you find that tricky you can use the keyboard shortcut Ctrl+2 to advance 2 images at a time. Holding down the Ctrl key and tapping 2 repeatedly is quite a fast way of advancing until you see one you want to delete. If you check Jump to the next file after deleting/moving in the File Handling tab of Properties/Options then you just need to press Delete twice to delete the two files, or if you have Ask me before deleting files checked in that same tab then it is Delete, Enter, Delete, Enter. Still quite easy.

If you are just browsing you can set to Sort by file type. Then all the CR2 files will be together in one block and all the JPGs will be too. You can open the first of whichever type is most convenient and just browse through one file type. That makes the deleting harder of course. If I had to do a lot, I would probably just delete the JPG files and then run a small batch or script file on the folder to delete all CR2s that do not have a matching JPG.

Comment

Originally posted by Mij View Post
        If you find that tricky you can use the keyboard shortcut Ctrl+2 to advance 2 images at a time. Holding down the Ctrl key and tapping 2 repeatedly is quite a fast way of advancing until you see one you want to delete.
        Thanks for the Ctrl-2 trick! (Ctrl-Shift-2 apparently moves back by 2 pictures too )

There's still a problem with delete in that if I hit 'delete' twice, there's no way to make sure I deleted the .jpg and .cr2 for the same picture or the .jpg for one picture and the .cr2 for a different one I'm basically comparing this to Lightroom which treats both files as a single picture. In LR, I can move to the next picture with a single keypress and also delete both files (jpg & cr2) with a single keypress. I was hoping to use IrfanView for my initial sorting before heading into LR.

BR,
        James

Comment

Yes, I do understand your reluctance to Delete that way. Personally, I never delete files in the Browser window. It is really designed for viewing images and I find it all too easy to unintentionally delete the wrong one. I prefer to delete in the Thumbnail window where it is easier to see what you are doing.

If you sort by Name you would still see the thumbnails in pairs and it is fairly quick to hold down the Ctrl key while you click on all the pairs of images that you want to delete. You can then take a second look at what you have selected before you press that fateful Delete key ....
          but then you could do that just as well in Windows Explorer I suppose.

Comment

I guess it's just a difference of preferences In the thumbnail window, often I can't see the small differences between two pictures (small focus errors, small composition errors, etc.) and for those pictures I have to open them up

Thanks for your suggestions!
            James

Comment

Voltron6000:
              My Canon also can produce RAW (cr2) and jpeg photos. I have reset my camera to only record RAW. Canon automatically imbeds a jpeg in its RAW file. In IV your settings can allow you to view the imbedded jpeg only (and not load the much larger raw). In Lightroom the first quick instant photo you see is the imbedded jpeg and LR will then in a few seconds load the RAW file over the top of the jpeg (Depending on your settings). The reason I did this is for two reasons: 1. I too got tired of deleting both files from my folders (and making the same mistakes you find) and 2. I got about 20% more room on my compact flash cards.

Comment

In case anyone is still following this thread. This can be accomplished on Windows using xnview and jumping through a few hoops:
                This post is for Windows. A solution for Ubuntu could be Geeqie. [1] I use my camera with the mode to save jpeg+raw. If I want to get skim through the pictures I always had twice the work (show jpg…

Comment

I haven't tried it myself but how about this option:

Click image for larger version

Name:	iv_sidecar.png
Views:	1
Size:	7.2 KB
ID:	81086

currently running 4.56 / 32 bit

Comment

That looks great! I'll have to download the latest version and try it out! I hope it also skips .cr2's when paging through the files in the directory

JP

Comment

Deleting sidecar files works as expected. By default it deletes .XMP and .THM files, but you can add others, for instance .PP3 (Raw Therapee). You can even add .JPG files, but I would be careful with that (please remember ...), since they are usually not sidecar files, although sometimes they are; LightZone can use small _lzn.JPG sidecar files, where editing information and preview picture are stored.

This option - delete sidecar files - does not affect browsing, as far as I know.
                      IrfanView 4.62 64-bit

Comment

Working...
                      X