Easy way to look at EXIF-data?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Easy way to look at EXIF-data?

Is it just me or is there no easy way to look at an image EXIF data?

The only way I know is to have the EXIF plugin installed and then use $Ex under the Viewing tab. But then you have all your images completely filled with green text.. all the time. Shouldn't there be a quick shortcut to view the data?

Hi,

did you try to use the information dialog (open an image, then click on key "i" -> click on "exif" . Then you can view every exif information (except the image does not have any )

steve

Comment

EXIF Info:
      Just click your "E" keyboard key for immediate EXIF information.
      Works in either thumbnail view or edit view. You must first
      highlight which thumbnail, when in thumbnail view. Just remember
      "E" for EXIF. Long Live Irfanview!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by ruffin View Post
        EXIF Info:
        Just click your "E" keyboard key for immediate EXIF information.
        Works in either thumbnail view or edit view. You must first
        highlight which thumbnail, when in thumbnail view. Just remember
        "E" for EXIF. Long Live Irfanview!!!!!
        Ah, there we go, exactly what i wanted!

Comment

Hi lowcrust,

You can even close the Info window while leaving the Exif window open. So, when you skip to another image the Exif data are updated automatically (new in IrfanView 4.00).

Laurent
          Before you post ... fill in your OS and IV version in your profile.

Comment

Exif Info in status bar

I am new to Irfanview. Just discovered it a few weeks ago when I bought my first digital camera. I must say I love it!

I was just wondering if there was a way (perhaps a plugin) to display the exif info in the staus bar. I am sure that ALL of the exif info would be unnecessary but I was hoping for a few key components of image information from my digital photos. Mostly aperture, ISO, shutter speed, focal length, flash on or off, etc. Things of that nature.

If it's not already in the program, perhaps someone could point me in the direction of how to make a plugin? I might be able to devote some time to developing a plugin on my own.

TIA

Comment

As said, EXIF already is a plugin in the DLL-format, so if you can handle those ..
              I guess an integration with the status-bar would be quite complicated, but if possible, I would prefer to be able to toggle the kind of information. Otherwise i would loose the basic bitmap-info every time the file contains some exif-data.
              Rest In Peace, Sam!

Comment

Exif data

Laurent,

Nice trick. I especially like being able to switch to another thumbnail and having the EXIF data update with the thumbnail....but..for me the next EXIF data window moves behind the thumbnail window and I must drag the thumbnail window to one side to view the EXIF data window. Is there a way to have the EXIF window stay on top of the thumbnail window when I change the thumbnail selection?

Mudman

Comment

You can get a zillion little window-controller programs that will "on-top" a window for you, but then they are on top...not always so good.

Rather than mouse-dragging the windows, why not use your other hand, ALT + TAB on the keyboard?

oh, w00t! I just crashed IrfanView! ESC-ed out with Exif window open
                  Its: Belongs to "It"
                  It's: Shortened form of "It is"
                  ---------------------
                  Lose: Fail to keep
                  Loose: Not tight

---------------------
                  Plurals do not require apostrophes

Comment

Hi mudman,

If I understand you well, I don't se the same behaviour as you.
                    1. It is true that the EXIF data window goes behind the Thumbnails viewer, but, as I can see, the EXIF data are not updated when I just select (one clic) another image in the Thumbnails viewer. Si I see no interest to hold the data above the thumbnails. Howerver that would have been interesting if the data were updated according to the thumbnail selected. Maybe this can be a feature request.
                    2. On the other hand, the EXIF data are updated when an image is already displayed in the main viewer and I display the next one in the directory (using the spacebar or the arrow in the toolbar). And the EXIF data window remains on top of IrfanView's main window.
                    3. Unluckily, the data are not updated when I display another image by double-clicking on its thumbnail in the Thumbnails viewer. Maybe this is a bug.

I also tried the left-hand Alt+Tab suggested by matera, but I coudn't "reach" the EXIF data windows. I didn't try a windows controller. Maybe matera could tell which one he tried.

Laurent
                    Before you post ... fill in your OS and IV version in your profile.

Comment

Why not use IrfanView as a plugin in Total Commander? URL: http://www.ghisler.com/. Then you can view the thumbs in the left part of the screen and the customed columns (with the exif-data) in the other.

Comment

Yeah, man! TC rules!!
                        Get Radio? Sure! - the best Internet Radio Player ever?

Comment

Originally posted by stefan View Post
                          Hi,

did you try to use the information dialog (open an image, then click on key "i" -> click on "exif" . Then you can view every exif information (except the image does not have any )

steve
                          Excelent. Fast and Easy!

Comment

Hi Ruffin, It doesn't work, it asks for a External Editor, what should I do?

Click image for larger version

Name:	irfanView report.jpg
Views:	4877
Size:	35.5 KB
ID:	97790
                            Last edited by Bhikkhu Pesala; 12.04.2023, 07:01 PM.

Comment

Still easier an quicker: Open the image and press E
                              Last edited by jazzman; 12.04.2023, 06:31 PM.

currently running 4.56 / 32 bit

Comment

Working...
                              X