X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• n3306tx
    replied
    I also experience similar crashes with the paint dialog, but can't quite figure out how to reproduce them. What I wanted to also mention is I've noticed the F12 keyboard shortcut to open the paint dialog no longer seems to work over the last few revisions. I don't think I've installed any other program that would change the keyboard mapping. Minor issue, but would like to see the crashing issue fixed if possible. I'm running Windows 7 64-bit Home and the latest version of 32-bit Irfanview (Ver. 4.44). I have also tried the 64-bit version of IV, but it seemed to crash much more for other reasons (but this version was relatively new then also). Irfanview is by far the greatest, most versatile image program I've ever found. Been using it for well over 10 years now. Many thanks to the developer and contributors for this fine program.

Leave a comment:

• Deplorable1
    replied
    Originally posted by Bhikkhu Pesala View Post
    I would not use IrfanPaint for adding text to a photo. It's not reversible or editable once added.

I would place the photo in a DTP or Drawing application, add the text as a layer, then export the cover as a bitmap, keeping the original for later updates or corrections.
    I use much of the tools in the paint plugin, particularly the straighten and clone options. It would still be very helpful & nice if they didn't crash the program intermittently! :-p

It's bad enough that WIN10 "broke" nearly every software app that I have used for my church for as much as a decade or more!! ;-(
    Last edited by Deplorable1; 28.01.2017, 12:56 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Bhikkhu Pesala
    replied
    Originally posted by Deplorable1 View Post
    I always [SAVE-AS] the cover photo or any adjusted one as a separate file, so the original is never changed and always retained.
    Maybe so, but you still have to redo the text all over again. If, say, you created a Magazine cover for January, then wanted to make a new one for February, if you used a DTP or Drawing program, you would simply edit the text, or switch the photo too. Any work you had done adding drop shadows, text spacing, rotation, curvature, etc., would not need to be done again. Since it's only £20 for such an application, and you're doing this commercially, it compares well to €10 for IrfanView.

Nothing wrong with IrfanView. It does loads of things better than my drawing or DTP apps, and even my Photo-editor, but it's always best to select the right tool for the job.
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• Deplorable1
    replied
    Always VERY careful with adjustments!

I would not use IrfanPaint for adding text to a photo. It's not reversible or editable once added.

I would place the photo in a DTP or Drawing application, add the text as a layer, then export the cover as a bitmap, keeping the original for later updates or corrections.
    Thanks for the prompt reply!

I always [SAVE-AS] the cover photo or any adjusted one as a separate file, so the original is never changed and always retained. I also reduce the file size of the covers, as it prints the same in 4X6 format but also can be sent by e-mail to the client more easily. I usually do 2-4 different "cover photo" versions to allow the client to choose the one they like best.

If I am not happy with the placement, I can always undo [CTRL-Z] the change (but not without first having to EXIT the Paint plugin!). I use IrfanView for the explicit reason that I don't need PaintShopPro for 80-90% of my post work!!
    Last edited by Deplorable1; 24.01.2017, 07:28 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Bhikkhu Pesala
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Deplorable1
    replied
    Stil some issues with Paint plugin

I am still experiencing crashes when using the Paint Dialog Box (currently V4.44) in both WIN7-ULT and WIN10-PRO. It seems to be intermittent now, as it doesn't happen every time as before. It does happen in both the 32 and 64-bit versions, as I have tried both (after uninstalling the other, of course!). It is very frustrating as I, like other users rely on IrfanView for 80-90% of my photo editing requirements! I use that feature to add (text) dates, locations and the name(s) of the subject for a "cover photo" in most of my projects.

Yes, it is that good! Thanks for all you do.
    Last edited by Bhikkhu Pesala; 24.01.2017, 06:59 PM. Reason: Fixed text formatting

Leave a comment:

• Mij
    replied
    Originally posted by damnyankee20 View Post
    My apologies about no including system info. I currently use Windows 7 and tried both 32 bit and 64 bit. There was a tweak online in the Paint Dialog settings (unclick a box in the Dialog Options - which I did, didn't work) and now I get an error where I can't paste into IrFanView at all. *sigh*

I think what I'm going to do again (for the 4th time) is completely uninstall (including Registry cleanup) and start over and see if I can find an older XP version on IrFanView online. I've used this software for years with 95% of my photos/imaging edits and have become dependent upon it. I don't like to fire up Photoshop for basic edits that IrFanView handles with ease.

I'll check in from time to time.
    I use the 32 bit version a lot and have not had any problems with the Paint dialog for a number of years. I now use Windows 10 but most of that time it was Windows 7. I use the 64bit version occasionally but have not yet seen any problems there either.
    What is the tweak you speak of? Irfan Skiljan did do some tweaks to get the 64bit version to work but I do not remember users being told to unclick any options, and AFAIK no changes were made to the 32 bit version.

Before you reinstall everything I suggest that you delete your i_view32.ini or i_view64.ini file in your AppData folder and let Irfanview rebuild it next time you open the program. Registry cleanup rarely affects Irfanview because all the options are held in the ini file.

Leave a comment:

• damnyankee20
    replied
    Irfan Skiljan knows about it.

Are you using 64-bit or 32-bit IrfanView? What is your OS? I don't get crashes at all on Windows 10 with 32-bit IrfanView, though I don't use the plugin constantly, just sometimes.
    My apologies about no including system info. I currently use Windows 7 and tried both 32 bit and 64 bit. There was a tweak online in the Paint Dialog settings (unclick a box in the Dialog Options - which I did, didn't work) and now I get an error where I can't paste into IrFanView at all. *sigh*

I think what I'm going to do again (for the 4th time) is completely uninstall (including Registry cleanup) and start over and see if I can find an older XP version on IrFanView online. I've used this software for years with 95% of my photos/imaging edits and have become dependent upon it. I don't like to fire up Photoshop for basic edits that IrFanView handles with ease.

I'll check in from time to time.

Leave a comment:

• Bhikkhu Pesala
    replied
    Irfan Skiljan knows about it.

Originally posted by Irfan Skiljan, June 2016
    For the big things on the TODO list: I will first try to fix the Paint plugin crahes (on some systems), then try to port IrfanView to unicode ... they are very important things, important for many users.
    Are you using 64-bit or 32-bit IrfanView? What is your OS? I don't get crashes at all on Windows 10 with 32-bit IrfanView, though I don't use the plugin constantly, just sometimes.

Leave a comment:

• damnyankee20
    replied
    Paint Dialog ongiong issues

I've been a rabid user of IrFanView for many years and I rarely complain but this ongoing issue needs to be brought to the Developers' attention.

In the past 4 years or so, the Paint Dialog tool continues to crash on all incarnations of IrFanView on various PCs I have - even at work. All I can do with it now is view images and crop. Whenever I use an object in the Paint Dialog box (lines, eraser, text, etc), the software locks up and I get a "Not Responding" warning. I have to open Task Manager to close the program as it won't close on its own. Old IrFanView versions used to do these tasks with ease.

I've resorted to the forum and Web over the last several years for solutions and none of the solutions worked. I'm at the point where I have to open up my Photoshop hog to do simple edits that IrFanView used to do in a in the time it takes for Photoshop just to open.

Will you folks PLEASE resolve this ongoing issue? Complaints date back to 2011..

Thank you for your consideration.

DY

Leave a comment:

• Bhikkhu Pesala
    replied
    Irfan Skiljan is aware of the crashing issues with the Paint plugin. This is his latest response:

For the big things on the TODO list: I will first try to fix the Paint plugin crashes (on some systems), then try to port IrfanView to unicode ... they are very important things, important for many users.

Leave a comment:

• Bhikkhu Pesala
    replied
    Not much that Irfan Skiljan can do about this. The IrfanPaint developer stopped work on it. Just use the 32-bit version for most tasks. 64-bit is only needed for huge images.

See this earlier thread

Leave a comment:

• rolfovo
    replied
    Irfanview 4.42 64-bit crashes when I use Paint tools

Hello,
    When I use the "Paint menu" (text to an image, the arrow to the picture), the program always crashes :-(
    Click image for larger version

Name:	100.png
Views:	1
Size:	40.9 KB
ID:	81412

Leave a comment:

• jk3
    replied
    is that a Windows 8 thing?
    Yes, it is Win 8.1 x64 Single Language.

I changed destination folder while install.

Reinstall to default folder?

Leave a comment:

• Bhikkhu Pesala
    replied
    I wonder why your IrfanView is installed in C:\Programs\ and not in C:\Program Files (x86) — is that a Windows 8 thing?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X