Clear All

Fixed Windows 10 - IrfanView won't open some files

In File Explorer double clicking on:
    C:\Users\gradyland\Documents\Ancestry\ashlandvets. jpg
    works fine

yet double clicking on:
    \\DESKTOP\Users\Public\Pictures\BigBoats\Costa_Del iziosa.jpg
    does nothing. Same results using "open with"
    I can access this images using the open selection within IrfanView.

The first link is a local folder accessible only from my desktop while the second is network folder accessible by any computer connected to my network.

Audio files from both of these folders open with WinAmp by double clicking in File Explorer
    The network image file can be opened by my laptop running Windows 8.1 connected to my network by double clicking in File Explorer.
    IrfanView version is 4.4, 64 bit

Have you tried the fix from this thread: Windows 10 + irfanView 64 bit: crashes when opening files from UNC paths ?

currently running 4.56 / 32 bit

Comment

I have no clue what a UNC path is, but I see the difference and wondered about it. Must be something new with Windows 10.

Not sure I'd recommend installing fixes that weren't intended for me but what's the worst that can happen? I replaced the files that were in the fix and damned if it didn't solve the problem.

Thanks a lot!

Comment

Originally posted by johnsig View Post
        I have no clue what a UNC path is, ...
        Nor had I, but Wikipedia is your friend

The Microsoft Windows UNC, short for Universal Naming Convention or Uniform Naming Convention, specifies a common syntax to describe the location of a network resource, such as a shared file, directory, or printer. The UNC syntax for Windows systems has the generic form:

\\ComputerName\SharedFolder\Resource

(from https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Path_(...ing_Convention )

currently running 4.56 / 32 bit

Comment

Working...
        X