Irfan View does not remember position at the edge of the screen

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Confirmed Irfan View does not remember position at the edge of the screen

I can't get Irfan View to position in the top left corner of Windows 10 Pro, last edition. With the 64-bit version a gap remains between the edge of the screen and the left of the window. It also does not want to remember the position. So lining out the Irfan View window at the screen edge is not remembered, next time Irfan View is opened it's with a gap again.

It does that also on at least one other system with W10 home I have access to.

Unable to reproduce here. I have a dual monitor setup so I had to use the Windows key to align the IrfanView window to the top left corner of the primary monitor.

* Windows key + Left
    * Windows key + Up

On restarting the 64-bit version it was still in the same place — the top left corner of the primary monitor.
    Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

This happens because you have enabled the grid to align the icons on the desktop. Then the windows are aligned to the grid too.
      Use the solution from Bhikkhu Pesala to solve the problem or disable 'Align icons to grid'.
      Win 10/64 Home 22H2 IrfanView 4.66/64
      Hate has caused a lot of problems in this world, but it has not solved one yet. (Maya Angelou)

Comment

Actually, I'm having the same problem as described by Vansloneker. However I have 32-bit IrfanView installed. In fact it is so annoying that I've created an account at the forum just for this issue.

I disabled the "Align icons to grid" setting as Kuki Dent suggested, but without effect (funny nickname btw). The IrfanView window will still have an offset of 6 pixels to the left side of the screen every time the application is started.

When I adjust the window, be it manually or with WIN+left, like suggested by Bhikkhu Pesala, and proceed to the next picture, the gap is there again.

Further suggestions would be highly appreciated!

Comment

Electron I also tried 32bit, it has a narrower gap as 64bit, but still a gap and I can't stand that!

This problem has nothing to do with "Align icons to grid". There is no relation between aligning the desktop icons and the window positions. I am sorry, but the suggestion is just a bromide. I have been using Irfan View for over 20 years on most of the Windows versions always with icons aligned to grid, and never ever, has Irfan View or for that matter any other window ever not wanted to fit at the edge of the screen. And so far, no other window on Windows 10 shows this behavior either.

Comment

Originally posted by electron View Post
            Further suggestions would be highly appreciated!
            Presumably you have enabled "Remember the last window size/position (on program exit)" in Settings, Viewing
            Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

I have not looked at 64 bit Irfanview but what the OP describes is quite obvious in my 32 bit version.

The X coordinate value saved in the [WinPosition] block of the i_view32.ini file in use appears to be offset by 7 pixels. So if the window is dragged to align its left edge with the edge of the screen, then the value saved when the window is closed is XKoord= -7. When the window is reopened a negative value of XKoord is reset to 0, so a new window can never be opened less than 7 pixels from the left side of the screen.

I do not know why that is done. There is no offset in the Y axis, so a window aligned with the top edge of the screen is saved with YKoord=0 and reopens still aligned there. Nor is it that new. I checked Irfanview v4.40 and that behaves just the same as v4.44.

Comment

Originally posted by Bhikkhu Pesala View Post
                Presumably you have enabled "Remember the last window size/position (on program exit)" in Settings, Viewing
                Yes, indeed. "Remember the last window size/position (on program exit)" is enabled.

Btw: I suggest changing the "no bug" prefix - and maybe also the title, as obviously both the 32-bit and the 64-bit version is affected.

Originally posted by Mij View Post
                if the window is dragged to align its left edge with the edge of the screen, then the value saved when the window is closed is XKoord= -7
                I looked into the i_view32.ini and can confirm this behaviour. Thank you Mij for pointing that out!
                Last edited by electron; 08.08.2017, 05:57 PM.

Comment

hello, I just discovered your software, but it cannot remember the windows position, can you help me please ?
                  Thank you for the great program !

Comment

This old bug is still around. The Window position is always offset at least a few pixels from the left.
                    Top centre is remembered, or top right, just not top left, middle left, or bottom left.
                    If it bugs you, send a bug report to Irfan Skiljan (Help, About IrfanView) and let us know what he says.

Comment

Hi,

It's strange that this problem is still not solved today.
                      I don't have the latest version installed, but I assume the problem is still present in the current version??

Anyway, something got me thinking. Maybe the problem is how the windows are displayed in Windows 10.
                      As you know the layout of windows in Windows 10 has been changed in comparison with the previous versions of Windows.
                      So I tried something. I placed a shortcut to Irfan View on my desktop, and changed the Compatibility to "Windows XP (Service Pack 3)"

When you open Irfan View, you get a pop-up screen and accept "Yes".
                      After that the window is top left, like it should be. Problem solved!
                      If you double click an image from within Explorer. Same thing, you see the pop-up screen, press "Yes", and the position is the same as before.

So my guess is, maybe there is still a setting from back in the day when Windows XP was the current OS and that still is present in the current version, which now in Windows 10 causes this problem.

Or maybe there is a setting in Irfan View that actually take this border in consideration and calculates some pixels from the left.
                      As you remember the default theme in Windows XP had a thick border all around it's windows.

So that in Window XP, most left, is really most left. But not in Windows 10 because these windows has no thick borders.
                      Maybe that's the problem here... I'm just guessing...
                      Strangely this problem didn't occur in Windows 7 as far I can remember. I never used Windows Vista, so I can't confirm for that OS.

I think I know a way to get rid of that popup screen, but I'm not really sure.
                      I have to look into that.

Comment

The gap around windows is because Win10 uses similarly thick borders like Win7 and Win8. The borders are just rendered thin and the rest is invisible.

However I'm not sure what exactly XP compatibility mode does.
                        My system: IrfanView 4.62 64bit, Windows 10 22H2, Intel Core i5-3570, 16GB RAM, NVidia GTX 1050Ti 4GB

Comment

There must be something different in Windows 10 in comparison with the older versions why this behavior occurs.
                          What it is I don't know really for sure ?
                          Last edited by Coy; 20.09.2021, 04:50 PM.

Comment

Working...
                          X