Small icon has grey smudge

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

no bug Small icon has grey smudge

The small irfanview icon that shows in the explorer has a grey smudge over it, the larger ones do not.
    I can't imagine this is on purpose.

Screenshot of the small icon:
    Click image for larger version

Name:	irfanview-small.png
Views:	1
Size:	2.5 KB
ID:	85387

Screenshot of the large icon:
    Click image for larger version

Name:	irfanview-large.png
Views:	1
Size:	3.3 KB
ID:	85389
    Attached Files

It is not an accident. The icon is known as the road-kill cat. The grey smudge is a tyre track. It is Irfan Skiljan's design and he has not changed it in spite of many negative comments. It is like a trademark; if you change it, the product may not be recognised.
    Last edited by Bhikkhu Pesala; 01.02.2021, 12:23 PM. Reason: Fixed typo
    Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.57

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

The most often seen icons are still without the grey bar. The 64px icon again has it. How did you get rid of the "64" printed on the cat's belly? That is a very low-effort design. In the small icon there are 2 stray yellow pixels, and 1 pixel in the standard 32-bit. He could have changed the color of the cat by rotating the hue to get a distinct icon.

Maybe you could use the Icons.dll plugin to get format specific icons that show the file sheet instead of the cat.

Comment

Originally posted by Bhikkhu Pesala View Post
        The grey smudge is a tyre track. It is Irfan Skiljan's design and he has not changed it in spite of many negative comments. It is like a trademark; if you change it, the product may not be recognised.
        Hmm. I recognise the product just fine without this smudge.

Originally posted by j7n View Post
        The most often seen icons are still without the grey bar.
        Not for me. The small icon is the one that shows up in the explorer and it just looks terrible. I think it would look better on the large icon, but for some reason, it is not there. That made me believe it is a bug.

I think I will revert to an older version of irfanview. IMHO this really looks terrible.
        Last edited by Bhikkhu Pesala; 01.02.2021, 12:24 PM. Reason: Fixed typo

Comment

If you don't like the icon, change to another one.
          Irfanview has eight different internal icons: Options - Properties/Settings - Extensions [Icons].
          No need to go back to an older version.
          Win 10/64 Home 20H2 IrfanView 4.57/64
          Hate has caused a lot of problems in this world, but it has not solved one yet. (Maya Angelou)

Comment

The other options are even worse. The first option shows the icon with a grey background, so no indication if that has the smudge or not, but it does. Well, in the small icon but not the big icon.
            The second option, with the white background, is IMHO better for the small icon, but then the large icon has a white background which clashes with about every background. Come on!

Comment

Use the icons plugin for Windows 98 style sheet icons. In Irfan's preferences go to Extensions -> Icons, and check the box to use this plugin. As a representation for the main program, I like the Panda icon. But it is square without a representation of a "file".
              Attached Files

Comment

Yup, I know that option. I'm still in doubt whether or not I like it. It sure looks better than that smudge, but I've got the extension in the filename also (yes, old-skool) so it does not add a lot of info.

Comment

Working...
                X