v4.23: IrfanView crashes opening large Tiff files

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Reported v4.23: IrfanView crashes opening large Tiff files

By trying to open a large TIF file, 130 mb, InfranView close down immediate with no error messages. How big files can i open with InfranView and is it a way to configurate InfranView to handle big files

How much memory do you have? I wouldn't have any problem open a file of that size on my system with 1 Gbyte of RAM, though I save TIF files as PNG to save disk space. My biggest tiff is 67 Mbytes.

If the file is too big for available memory, you should receive an error message, so it is likely to be some other cause. Can you open it in any other application?
    Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

Yes, i can open the image with other applications. I have 2 GB with RAM and should get an error message if the computer runs out of memory.
      I forgot to mention that the image i am trying to open is compressed with compression type 7 in order to save space. I have however opened this type of files before with InfranView, but of smaller size.

Comment

IrfanView doesn't support type 7 compression (whatever that is) for saving TIF files so that may be the reason. Try saving it uncompressed from the other application and then see if IrfanView can open it.
        Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

The file i am trying to open is a TIF file with compression 7, but i want to store this file uncompressed in order to make an import to an application that do not read TIF files with compression 7. Thats the whole meaning by using InfranView.
          I have done this operation with smaller files (less than 100 mb) many times.

Comment

Originally posted by trotor View Post
            Yes, i can open the image with other applications.
            Then open with that application, and save it uncompressed from there. If this application has no options for saving in different formats, then copy the image to the clipboard, paste it into IrfanView, then save it as uncompressed TIF.

I cannot find any reference to this TIF 7 compression method.
            Last edited by Bhikkhu Pesala; 14.04.2009, 04:12 PM.

Comment

Where is the file located you are opening?

If I am correct, type 7 is JPEG. What are the dimensions and bit depth of your image?
              Last edited by Skippybox; 14.04.2009, 07:37 PM.

Comment

Working...
              X