Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

IrfanView videos (mp4, avi, webm) looks washed out.

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    no bug IrfanView videos (mp4, avi, webm) looks washed out.

    I think this is a bug on how IrfanView renders video. I tried various mp4, avi, and webms and they all looked washed out compared to other players. I've updated the app and all the plug-ins. I also tried fixes for washed out pictures but it doesn't seem to work with this particular problem.
    1. Your Operating System, and IrfanView version number.
      Windows 10 Version 4.58 64 bit
    2. Your hardware specification
      Intel(R) Xeon, 64 GB Ram RTX 3070
    3. A clear step-by-step recipe to reproduce the bug reliably. Without this, no one can confirm the bug, and no one can fix a bug that cannot be reproduced.
      1. Download, install and run the latest inrfanView with plugins.
      2. Confirm the video plugin is visible and installed.
      3. Open any video file.
      4. Compare the same video file with any other player, example VLC.
      Things I tried to fix the problem:
      1. enabled and disabled all checkboxes in the PlugIns section of the properties settings.
      2. Enabled the Color management checkbox. Selected Current monitor profile and Apply also for in images without embedded color profile. Put sRGB in the field.
    4. A screenshot or error message, if it is relevant
      Click image for larger version

Name:	cat.JPG
Views:	44
Size:	237.4 KB
ID:	93168
    5. A problematic file that causes the crash or error message, or a link to such a file.
      Any video from imgur should work.

    #2
    IrfanView doesn't do any post procession or color corrections on videos. It relies just on video codecs installed in Windows and presents the video as it was decoded by the codec. So this is not a bug, rather it's a limitation of IrfanView's video playback. After all, IrfanView's video player is missing lots of advanced features, you don't want to watch movies in IrfanView for example. The intended use is for quick video previews.
    My system: IrfanView 4.58 64bit, Windows 10 21H2, Intel Core i5-3570, 16GB RAM, AMD Radeon RX550 2GB

    Comment


      #3
      Originally posted by ninjasamurai View Post
      I think this is a bug on how IrfanView renders video.
      Thank you for your excellent bug report, but this is just a missing feature, not a bug.

      Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.58 • Windows 10 Home

      Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

      Comment


        #4
        Originally posted by JendaLinda View Post
        IrfanView doesn't do any post procession or color corrections on videos. It relies just on video codecs installed in Windows and presents the video as it was decoded by the codec. So this is not a bug, rather it's a limitation of IrfanView's video playback. After all, IrfanView's video player is missing lots of advanced features, you don't want to watch movies in IrfanView for example. The intended use is for quick video previews.
        JendaLinda I'm guessing installing newer codecs won't fix the issue? I use it to quickly go though small clips and webms. Not as a full movie player. Can this be a feature request, and if so where can I post those?

        Comment


          #5
          The video is being decoded to "TV Levels" here in range 16-235 instead of full range "PC Levels". This is a common issue and is caused by legacy television standards.

          You can try to adjust it either in the properties page of the video decoder or the video adapter's control panel (maybe). I know that nVidia for some reason defaulted to TV levels. Use another player where you can bring up the DirectShow decoder's properties dialog. Apply the change and it will work in all programs.

          In FFDSHOW you can uncheck everything under Output RGB32, which will perform the conversion in software, and bypass special treatment of YCbCr by the video driver. Under RGB Conversion select Auto or TV for input, and PC for output. In LAVFilters it is similar, you may need to disable hardware decoder in case the levels are incorrectly set by your RTX.

          Doing full color profile correction is very slow and unnecessary in practice. No chance to see this added to IrfanView because it doesn't do any processing of video.

          Comment


            #6
            Originally posted by j7n View Post
            The video is being decoded to "TV Levels" here in range 16-235 instead of full range "PC Levels". This is a common issue and is caused by legacy television standards.

            You can try to adjust it either in the properties page of the video decoder or the video adapter's control panel (maybe). I know that nVidia for some reason defaulted to TV levels. Use another player where you can bring up the DirectShow decoder's properties dialog. Apply the change and it will work in all programs.

            In FFDSHOW you can uncheck everything under Output RGB32, which will perform the conversion in software, and bypass special treatment of YCbCr by the video driver. Under RGB Conversion select Auto or TV for input, and PC for output. In LAVFilters it is similar, you may need to disable hardware decoder in case the levels are incorrectly set by your RTX.

            Doing full color profile correction is very slow and unnecessary in practice. No chance to see this added to IrfanView because it doesn't do any processing of video.
            Hi j7n

            Sorry, alot of this just went over my head. Are you saying that I can get more accurate colors in IrfanView if I disable the above settings? I have the K-lite codec pack and this is the only thing that is similar to your description. I tried disabling all the RGB output formats and set the RGB Output levels as Untouched and I'm still seeing the same problem. I don't see any option to disable hardware decoder in my Nvidia control panel. Am I'm missing something?


            Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.JPG
Views:	14
Size:	105.7 KB
ID:	93192

            Comment


              #7
              This is the correct dialog for LAV Filters. Make sure that it is used in IrfanView (for example that the System Tray Icon shows up). It is possible that IrfanView uses another codec, and these settings won't have an effect.

              1) One option to try is to disable everything but RGB32, and set output levels to PC. Videos have limited levels, and they need to be expanded. If this doesn't work, revert, because this setting sacrifices speed. Also enable CUVID or DXVA2 back.

              2) Another option is to set PC levels in the Nvidia Control Panel.
              Attached Files

              Comment


                #8
                Originally posted by j7n View Post
                This is the correct dialog for LAV Filters. Make sure that it is used in IrfanView (for example that the System Tray Icon shows up). It is possible that IrfanView uses another codec, and these settings won't have an effect.

                1) One option to try is to disable everything but RGB32, and set output levels to PC. Videos have limited levels, and they need to be expanded. If this doesn't work, revert, because this setting sacrifices speed. Also enable CUVID or DXVA2 back.

                2) Another option is to set PC levels in the Nvidia Control Panel.
                j7n

                Thanks for the workaround. I'm using number 2 and I don't see any slowdown.

                Comment


                  #9
                  Of course, your computer is from NASA.

                  Comment

                  Working...
                  X