Apply original EXIF date/time fails

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Reported Apply original EXIF date/time fails

When doing a lossless JPG transformation of a photo taken by my phone, the "apply original EXIF date/time to new file" option doesn't work: the transformed file gets the current time.
    I've taken the attached photo this afternoon at 14:32 EEST. Note that the EXIF info is correctly set to
    DateTime - 2012-05-01 11:32:11
    DateTimeOriginal - 2012-05-01 11:32:11
    DateTimeDigitized - 2012-05-01 11:32:11
    Attached Files

On 64-bit Windows 10, 32-bit Irfanview v4.40 behaves the same (sets the current date), but 64-bit Irfanview v4.40 sets the date to 12/06/1601.

Comment

I tried lossless rotation (Shift+J) with Iview 4.40 32bit and 64bit with a number of pics, taken with a digital camera and full EXIF-Info. However I cannot confirm this bug. The date was set correctly from a newer date to the date and time in the EXIF-Info.
      But when I apply lossles rotation to the picture from the OP, the effect is as described - the EXIF-Info is ignored and the actual date and time is set to the picture.
      Last edited by Kuki Dent; 18.10.2015, 05:59 PM. Reason: Text appended
      Win 10/64 Home 22H2 IrfanView 4.67/64
      Hate has caused a lot of problems in this world, but it has not solved one yet. (Maya Angelou)

Comment

Similar here: on my random photo everything works, with Dante's picture both versions of IV 4.40 apply the current date/time. The same operation with ExifToolGUI works as expected.

There is a difference in the exif date/time format, in my photo it is written as 2015:08:30 16:32:42, in Dante's as 2012-05-01 11:32:11.

I have manually replaced dashes with colons in both DateTimeOriginal and CreateDate, and now IV handles Dante's image correctly.

I will try to find out, whether the format with dashes is "legal", it is certainly not common and this is not necessarily a bug.
        IrfanView 4.62 64-bit

Comment

I used ExifTool command that fixes all of the date/time tags:

exiftool -tagsfromfile @ "-all:all<time:all" D:\test

and it replaced dashes with colons in OP's image.

As Phil Harvey, the author of ExifTool, explains:

ExifTool is very flexible about the actual format of input date/time values when writing, and will attempt to reformat any values into the standard format ...
          but
          the standard EXIF date/time format is "YYYY:mm:dd HH:MM:SS".

More about this:

Last edited by Jacal; 18.10.2015, 09:14 PM.
          IrfanView 4.62 64-bit

Comment

Working...
          X