Very slow full screen (enter) and back (esc) on my fast computer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

no bug Very slow full screen (enter) and back (esc) on my fast computer

Hi new here but using the program for years, little disappointed since windows 11 a couple of months ago, first I wasn't able to set the program as default for the jpegs (done it lately) but now every time I press the enter key to go full screen is taking some time (should be instant at the lightspeed) and back with esc much longer. If I left click to another image then it closes the full screen with the esc key.
    I have an overkill pc with 12 gen i7, RX 6800 XT and 32gb of ddr4 4000 so it's not likely to be a hw issue.
    Maybe this started to happen since I connected my secondary display but I'm not sure about it.
    Any help would be appreciated because I don't like any other software for imaging.

Does disconnecting the secondary monitor help?
    My system: IrfanView 4.62 64bit, Windows 10 22H2, Intel Core i5-3570, 16GB RAM, NVidia GTX 1050Ti 4GB

Comment

Yes, as the matter of fact it does. I've just tried this now, single display it's all good, back to my 2 (extended) displays and it's all back again.
      I'm gonna update from my v. 4.58 64bit to the last v. 4.59 64bit and see if it does change anything.

Edit:
      It does nothing, still the same issue.
      Last edited by Lionel09 Arrows; 29.01.2022, 08:02 PM.

Comment

Please make sure you are using up to date graphics driver as well.
        My system: IrfanView 4.62 64bit, Windows 10 22H2, Intel Core i5-3570, 16GB RAM, NVidia GTX 1050Ti 4GB

Comment

I'm using the december 2021 drivers, they aren't the latest (of the beta drivers) but more recent than the last whql of Oct 2021.
          I'll try to install the newest v.22.1.2 of 25/01/2022.

Comment

OK so I've updated to the latest AMD drivers and still no luck, same annoying bug.
            Seems like either I find myself a solution with Google or I'll have to switch to another imaging software.

Comment

Unfortunately I can't reproduce the issue. I connected a second monitor to my computer, I have an AMD GPU. I can move the IrfanView window to each monitor and switch full screen and windowed modes with no problem. I'm using Windows 10, though.

Comment

So, moving the irfanview window to my second monitor (1080p @60hz) solves the problem, it's working fine, moving it back on my main ultrawide (lg 34gn850 3440x1440 @160hz) the issue comes back.

Comment

This really looks like some issue with drivers. For the program it shouldn't matter on which monitor it's running. That's the system's task to manage that.

Comment

What are your fullscreen settings? Resampling images for such a large monitor might be the issue. Try different image fitting settings, or turning off resampling, and see if that helps.
                    Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

I tried any possible configuration from the AMD software driver (scaling, gpu scaling, integer scaling) and from the Irfanview Fullscreen setting, even turning off resampling but the issue remains.
                      If I turn the second monitor down non more issues but I said that already.

Comment

You may try the 32 bit version of IrfanView. It might be more compatible. I can't think about any solution as long nobody else has this problem. I know AMD drivers may be sometimes problematic, I had some random crashes and BSODs due to graphics drivers, so I had to reinstall Windows.

Comment

Originally posted by JendaLinda View Post
                          I can't think about any solution as long nobody else has this problem.
                          Hi, the same issue:
                          Windows 11, Nvidia (driver 511.65 02/01/2022), dual monitor system (2K x 2), CPU - Ryzen 7 3800x
                          If I open it on a second monitor, everything works fine, but if I try to go to Full screen on the main monitor, then there is a 5-10 second delay between entering/exiting full-screen mode.
                          Image size and resampling options don't matter.

The problem appeared after some Windows updates, before that version 4.57 worked perfectly, updating to 4.59 did not solve the problem.

Comment

So the problem affects both AMD and Nvidia. This seems to be a bug in Windows, however IrfanView might implement a workaround to overcome this problem.

Only the developer, Irfan Skiljan, can do anything about it. Please summarize all information and send him a bug report. Please let us know, what he says. The contact information is in:
                            Help -> About IrfanView

Comment

This happens in Windows 11 after the security update. It has something to do with it. Uninstalling the security update fixes it in Windows 11. I have win 10 also on same pc (triple monitor) doesn't happen. It's win 11 with the Jan security patch what causes it. I have AMD CPU and AMD GPU. Triple monitor on 1080p all three, never had this problem before.
                              Last edited by Bhikkhu Pesala; 10.05.2022, 07:50 PM. Reason: Fixed typos

Comment

Working...
                              X