No announcement yet.

The Unicode PlugIn garbles non-ASCII filenames sent to external editors

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Reported The Unicode PlugIn garbles non-ASCII filenames sent to external editors

Hi,
    Sometimes I get two jpeg images that are actually the left and right halves of a single image. Thus, I have written a batch file that combines both jpeg halves into a single jpeg image.

The batch file works from Windows 7 x64 command prompt, and as link in the SendTo menu. It also works in IrfanView, if I set it in "Options/Properties/Miscellaneous/Set external editors" as C:\Utils\jpgjoin.bat. So far, so good.

I am Spanish, so I have many files and folders whose names include accented characters like "á" or "é". Both IrfanView and the batch file work with those files. However, I occasionally download images with Japanese or other non-Latin names. Therefore, I configure IrfanView to load the Unicode PlugIn. If I do that, the batch file invoked by IrfanView still works with strict ASCII paths, but it not longer works with paths that include accented characters like "á" or "é".

The code page of my CMD prompt is 820 (Latin). Changing it to 65001 (Unicode) does not help. Changing IrfanView's external editor to 'C:\Utils\jpgjoin.bat %1', 'C:\Utils\jpgjoin.bat "%1"', 'C:\Utils\jpgjoin.bat %~s1', or 'C:\Utils\jpgjoin.bat "%~s1"' does not help. Telling IrfanView to "send short file names to external editor" does not help, either. Unloading the Unicode PlugIn solves the problem. I have included a mini-batch file that illustrates the problem
    Code:
    @Echo Off
    Rem ChCP
    Rem ChCP 65001
    Rem ChCP
    Echo Path is "%~dp1"
    Echo Short name path is "%~dsp1"
    Pause
    Best regards, and congratulations for an excellent program
Working...
X