Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Reported Incorrect GPS tag data shown

Hello:

I found that IrfanView shows truncated latitude and longitude data for images created with Samsung Galaxy S2 (GT-I9100) camera running Android 4.0.3. I used the "ExifTool" to check if the error was on file or IrfanView, and confirmed the file is ok.

Here is the output that I got from these applications:

IrFanView:
    GPSLatitudeRef - S
    GPSLatitude - 34.47 0 0 (34.470000)
    GPSLongitudeRef - W
    GPSLongitude - 57.85 0 0 (57.850000)

ExifTool (version 9.20):
    GPS Latitude: 34 deg 28' 10.71" S
    GPS Longitude: 57 deg 51' 1.49" W

ExifToolGUI:
    S 34°28.1785
    W 057°51.0249

Preview in mobile phone:
    Lat: -34.469642639160156
    Lon: -57.85041427612305

Recipe to replicate the error:
    1. Open the image.
    2. Click on menu Image->Information.
    3. Click on button "EXIF info".
    4. Look for EXIF tags on "GPS information".
    5. Check that precision on GPS latitude and longitude is limited to 2 decimal positions on degrees, where it should be greater.

Systems involved:
    Computer running IrFanView:
    Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Professional (64-bit), Service Pack 1.
    Processor: Intel Core i5 (M450) @ 2.40 GHz
    RAM: 8.00 GB
    IrfanView version: 4.35

Image source:
    Type: Mobile phone camera
    Model: Samsung Galaxy S2
    Model number: GT-I9100
    Operating System: Android v4.0.3 (ICS)
    Software: I9100UHLPE

I attached an example image. Because of post attachment limits, I shrank it using IrfanView, keeping the EXIF info intact. The error occurs the same than in the original image.

Greetings,
    Logix.
    Attached Files

Please see this previous thread and especially read my final post on page 2.
    Irfan produced a new version of the Metadata plugin and asked that the OP of that thread and anyone else who was having problems with the way Irfanview handled the GPS data of their camera should test it to see if it provided a solution. I suspect that he is still waiting for someone to reply. Perhaps you could be the first.

Comment

Originally posted by Mij View Post
      Please see this previous thread and especially read my final post on page 2.
      Irfan produced a new version of the Metadata plugin and asked that the OP of that thread and anyone else who was having problems with the way Irfanview handled the GPS data of their camera should test it to see if it provided a solution. I suspect that he is still waiting for someone to reply. Perhaps you could be the first.
      Hello Mij. Thanks for your reply.

I've read the post you told me and I tested the new Metadata.dll library. These are the results:

IrFanView with old Metadata.dll:
      GPSLatitudeRef - S
      GPSLatitude - 34.47 0 0 (34.470000)
      GPSLongitudeRef - W
      GPSLongitude - 57.85 0 0 (57.850000)

IrFanView with new Metadata.dll:
      GPSLatitudeRef - S
      GPSLatitude - 34.47 0 0 (34.470001)
      GPSLongitudeRef - W
      GPSLongitude - 57.85 0 0 (57.849998)

When I use it to show in Google Maps is still inaccurate.

Greetings,
      Logix.

Comment

I have a theory about this:

Based on this reply to the post "EXIF GPS information Geotagging", it might be possible that my camera encodes the GPS data in (DD.DDDDDDDDDDDDDDD 0 0) format. This is: degrees with lots of decimals, zero minutes and zero seconds. If IrfanView takes the degrees with two decimals only, the zero from minutes and the zero from seconds, then the accuracy goes very poor.

Could it be this way?

Greetings,
        Logix.
        Last edited by logix; 11.03.2013, 11:39 AM.

Comment

I think that is very likely true Logix. The Exif specification allows for reporting of degrees, minutes and seconds for both Latitude and Longitude, all as separate fields.
          In the earlier post the IPad appeared to only use the degrees and minutes fields, ignoring seconds completely. Minutes though were reported to 2 decimal places to compensate for not reporting seconds.
          I suspect that Irfan has now allowed for any of the fields to contain 2 decimal places, but Samsung are ignoring both minutes and seconds and reporting only in degrees. That means that at least 4 decimal places are needed in the degrees field to compensate.
          I wonder how many more phone and tablet manufacturers will ignore specifications and do their own thing.

Comment

Working...
          X