just integer size for crop...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Reported just integer size for crop...

When asking for cropping mask (size) either in mm/cm/inch, if we type a decimal size (eg. 3.3 cm) it will be saved for future usage but ONLY in integer (3.0 in example case).

How to reproduce:
    Shift+C
    set to CM
    width 3.30
    height 4.2
    press "save to typical values"
    then when use the combo box the just added it shown 3x4 with no decimals and applys with no decimals
    Last edited by rnervi; 05.03.2013, 02:36 PM.

What version of Irfanview are you using? The current version, 4.35, should do 3.3 x 4.2 cm but I think it does round cms to 1 place of decimals (i.e to mms).

Comment

I have done the following to reproduce the problem:
      - I use IrfanView Ver. 4.35 (do you have this version too??)
      - I press shift-c
      - The dialog "Create custom selection" appears
      - At left side of the dialog ("1) Set ratio for width height") I select "None"
      - At right side of the dialog ("2) Selection size/position") I select "cm"
      - I enter 3.30 to "width"-field
      - I enter 4.2 to "height"-field
      - I press the "Add to standard box" button (do you mean this button??)
      - I open the Drop-Down-Box "Some standard dimensions (pixels)" (do you mean this box??)
      - AND YES, there is a new line with value "* 3x4"

I think the problem is that the Drop-Down-Box can only handle pixel-values but the program allows to add cm-values. One may call this a bug. I mean that this is not the used good IrfanView style.

Comment

I understand what you are doing now GKA and agree with a lot that you say. For a long time it was only possible to enter integer values for both centimetres or inches in any of the boxes, which made them almost worthless, but even when Irfan was persuaded to allow decimal values for cm or inches, it was only in the Height and Width boxes, not in X and Y offsets nor, as you have discovered, can those values be saved in the Add to standard box feature.

In my opinion there are many ways in which Custom crop selection and some of the other "positioning" dialogs could be improved, mostly suggested by others writing on this forum. Sadly it is an area where I have had little success in convincing Irfan of a need or value.

Comment

I agree with Irfan — there's no point in using cms or inches when dealing with images that are measured in pixels. It just asking for problems with rounding errors and human errors.
          Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

That is not the issue. If Irfan believes that everyone should work in pixels, then why include check boxes for cms and inches in the dialog? If he does include them they should work in a sensible way. Otherwise we just confuse the users.

Of course the program must work in pixels but there are occasions when users need to know what that means expressed in cms or inches, based on the current DPI value. To do the conversion they must use another program (like Windows calculator). I have even used a pocket calculator at times to do the sums. How crazy is that with all that computing power sitting inside the box?

What I would expect to see when I press cms is for all the values previously shown in pixels to be converted by Irfanview into cms and displayed in the boxes. I do not expect 1600 x 1200 pixels to become 1600 x 1200 cms, which is what happens at present. Yes there will be rounding errors in what is displayed but, if the original values are still held by the program in pixels that does not matter. If I edit the displayed cms value then it has to be recalculated to pixels and that working value now held by the program. What's difficult about that?

Comment

Working...
            X