Support for EMZ image format

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Requested Support for EMZ image format

So it finally happened. After what must be fifteen years of using IrfanView I have found an image file I couldn't open in the application. The file in question was an EMZ file which is apparently a compressed WMF file. Such files can be used in Microsoft Office applications; for example, by opening a Microsoft Word document and inserting a picture. Another method of accessing the image file is to open the EMZ file in an archiving application such as WinRAR, extracting the "image" file and opening it with IrfanView, whereupon IrfanView will tell you it's a WMF file with an incorrect extension and then display the image.

It would be nice if a future version of IrfanView could open EMZ files directly without the intermediate step of extracting the image from the compressed container using an archiving application.

I have attached a sample EMZ file if it is of any use.

Using IranView 4.36 on Windows 7 SP1.

Thanks,

Chris
    Attached Files

I can tell you another one (or two):
    SVG - Scalable Vector Graphic.
    SVGZ - Scalable Vector Graphics, compressed.
    If it hurts not to drint, don't waste the bottle then.

Comment

I just bumped up against an EMZ file too. I used RAR to extract it, put an EMF file extension on it and opened it with Irfanview. It shows up in Irfan thumbnails but not windows explorer thumbnails. Irfanview is so nice I'm just thankful I have it and have no problem extracting these compressed files.
      Geoffrey -- IV4.28, gs8.54APFL, PostScript.dll 4.27
      "There are two things important in life - to know the truth and to love"

Comment

Working...
      X