No announcement yet.

AVIF Image format

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Converting JPEG to lossless HEIF doesn't make sense, it will not make the files smaller. The only way HEIF could make JPEGs smaller is using lossy compression.

In case of JXL, lossless JPEG compression is a special mode of operation. Despite that the feature may not be useful for web, it is still useful for bulk data storage of legacy JPEG files.
    Last edited by JendaLinda; 04.11.2022, 08:42 AM.
    My system: IrfanView 4.62 64bit, Windows 10 22H2, Intel Core i5-3570, 16GB RAM, NVidia GTX 1050Ti 4GB

Comment

I would request FULL AVIF read and display support at least. Iview Version 4.60 (32 & 64bit) for example can not show AVIFs like
      https://static1.srcdn.com/wordpress/...lts-lineup.jpg while XnView or Chrome can.
      (yes I know the url says jpg but its an avif)

Thank you.
      Last edited by SirSiLvA; 27.11.2022, 02:28 AM.

Comment

After more than two years, no one seems to have forwarded the request to Irfan Skiljan. If you do, please tell us his response, and I will update the thread. I can view the linked file in Vivaldi (it uses Chromium code). However, I don't see the benefit of supporting this rarely used format. What advantage does it have over JPG?
        Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

I suppose one of the reasons the full AVIF support is not included is the libraries required to write AVIF images are almost 10 MB in size. That's quite a lot for supporting just a single picture format and it's against the idea of IrfanView being fast and lightweight.

AVIF is optimized for very small picture files in low fidelity. AVIF has limited use and it's not suitable as general purpose picture format, so few users would take advantage of AVIF writing support. The reading support using Windows Imaging Component should be sufficient as long as Microsoft fixes the bugs.
          My system: IrfanView 4.62 64bit, Windows 10 22H2, Intel Core i5-3570, 16GB RAM, NVidia GTX 1050Ti 4GB

Comment

Originally posted by Bhikkhu Pesala View Post
            After more than two years, no one seems to have forwarded the request to Irfan Skiljan.
            Sorry, my mistake, I thought people like you where important and work in conjunction with Irfan.

I don't see the benefit of supporting this rarely used format.
            With that attitude of yours Irfan would have never started with his image viewer and supportet "rarely used formats" like DjVu, ArtWeaver, PaintShopPro, etc

AVIF is an open source image format supportet by other picture viewer. Sorry for my mistake in asking for IrfanView to display it properly.

Originally posted by JendaLinda View Post
            I suppose one of the reasons the full AVIF support is not included is the libraries required to write AVIF images are almost 10 MB in size. That's quite a lot for supporting just a single picture format and it's against the idea of IrfanView being fast and lightweight.
            I am NOT talking about writing I am talking about reading and displaying it properly.

Last edited by SirSiLvA; 27.11.2022, 09:29 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by SirSiLvA View Post
              Sorry, my mistake, I thought people like you were important and work in conjunction with Irfan.

With that attitude of yours Irfan would have never started with his image viewer and supported "rarely used formats" like DjVu, ArtWeaver, PaintShopPro, etc
              It would help us moderators a lot if new users would read the sticky threads before posting.

This is a user-to-user forum. Moderators and members have no connection with Irfan Skiljan, and help out here in their free time.

Irfan Skiljan does not own the forum, and does not visit at all as far as I know.

Please read the Before you Post topic in my signature, before posting again.
              Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

IrfanView displays AVIF exactly the same as Photos App, MS Paint and other Windows builtin programs. Microsoft should fix their implementation. Addinbg native reading AVIF support to IrfanView is not much different from adding full support as the same libraries are used for reading and writing.

As Bhikkhu Pesala said, feel free to ask Irfan directly and let us know what he says. The contact info is in Help -> About Irfanview.

Comment

After more than two years, no one seems to have forwarded the request to Irfan Skiljan. If you do, please tell us his response, and I will update the thread. I can view the linked file in Vivaldi (it uses Chromium code). However, I don't see the benefit of supporting this rarely used format. What advantage does it have over JPG?
                  It is the next gen image format going forward, lowering bandwidth use on web while being open format along with its video format cousin it will become ubiquitous.

Currently so many images become bloated because people just copy paste into chat clients and it ends up as png it would be nice to have a batch encoder for this format.

Comment

Originally posted by JendaLinda View Post

AVIF is optimized for very small picture files in low fidelity. AVIF has limited use and it's not suitable as general purpose picture format, so few users would take advantage of AVIF writing support. The reading support using Windows Imaging Component should be sufficient as long as Microsoft fixes the bugs.
                    I don't think so, its quality settings are no different from jpg with the quality compression trade off of your choice, and as it is more advanced, the image quality will be superior at a given size.

As for light weight, if 10MB is too much then you can't load the format to begin with.

Comment

There is already full WebP support in IrfanView and I doubt many IrfanView users are using WebP to save their images. AVIF has the same goals as WebP, so I don't see much difference there. WebP promises better compression than JPEG and it actually has decent lossless compression. WebP is already widely supported and works reliably.
                      Last edited by Bhikkhu Pesala; 31.12.2022, 06:31 PM. Reason: Fixed typos

Comment

This issue has been brought up for years. At this point most of the images I download from the web are AVIF and Irfanview is useless for these on my Windows 8.1 computers. Yes, it works on my Windows 10 machines with the required Microsoft component but this shouldn't be neccessary. Will Irfanview ever be able to open these files on older machines or without Microsoft? I've used this program since it first became available and am very appreciative for having it but this is ridiculous. For the life of me I cannot understand why there is no effort to incorporate these newer formats - and I'm sure there will be other new formats down the road. Is Irfanview on the path to obsoleting itself - so disappointing and frustrating.

Comment

It seems nodoby cared enough about AVIF to ask Irfan Skiljan, the author of IrfanView. Feel free to do it. The contact info is in Help -> About Irfanview.

Comment

IrfanView is an image viewer, editor, organiser and converter. Find out how you can use AVIF images in IrfanView.

However, to harness the full potential of AVIF in IrfanView, you'll first need to install the 'Tools' plugin, which expands IrfanView's capabilities by adding support for formats like HEIF and AVIF, as well as additional functions and features. Keep in mind that converting images to AVIF is not supported by IrfanView, and make sure you have the Windows Extension for AVIF installed. For a handy guide on installing this extension, check out the instructions in our Windows tutorial.?
                            It's a shity format, when you need a special tutorial so you can properly use it! Windows extension?! 10 MB?! WTF.
                            So what about mac users? What about systems older than windows 8?
                            No, this format is NOT UNIVERSAL, NOT VERSATILE. No.
                            I guess it's another hidden microsoft's manipulation.

And ofcourse some people use it - like sheeps, without thinking. Just with primitive instinct "O, it's new so it has to be superb!"

Comment

irfanview unable to open animated avif

avif: decoded error!

???????
                              example file:

Comment

Working...
                              X