X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Requested Batch rename with exif datetimeoriginal

hello

sorry for my poor english !

fisrt many thx for irfanview, the best soft for me.

I just have un pb with it

I always rename my picture with the batch pattern
    $E36868(%y_%m_%d_%H_%M_%S)

it's very efficient for me exept when i make fast shooting

in this case I can have 2 or 3 pictures with the same name. because the same datetimeoriginal
    is it possible that une this case irfan found valid name ? for example

09_12_07_13_45_25
    09_12_07_13_45_25_1
    09_12_07_13_45_25_2
    09_12_07_13_45_26
    09_12_07_13_45_27
    09_12_07_13_45_28
    09_12_07_13_45_28_1

I hope I'm clear

There are these patterns for EXIF if your camera supports them:

$E37520 - SubsecTime

$E37521 - SubsecTimeOriginal

$E37522 - SubsecTimeDigitized

Comment

Ok, pretty terrifying for the average user, but there really is a need to rename on exif date order.

Most of my family need to for a start!

There are a number of programs that will do it and I am somewhat surprised iview still doesn't 'out of the box'. I have been patiently waiting for years...

Typically the user will collect a set of photographs into a directory, often from multiple sources (his or her camera, etc) which are now named in a random and unhelpful way. Typically the user wants to rename with a heading (eg "Puppies", "Rome", whatever) and then label them in ascending order by exif date (ie Rome001, Rome002 etc).

Name clashes should default to the next valid number.

The reason for using the exif date is that pictures may have been modified or otherwise have their file datestamp altered (disturbingly common). A really anal utility would allow EXIF dateshifting, but frankly that's not that important. Other programs like Namexif 1.5 can do this for the user that forgets to set the date....

Its been on my (and my families) wishlist for a long time.

Comment

You are asking for something different to the OP. He wanted to insert the actual Exif time and date into the name of the file. You, as I understand, just want to number the images in the order of their Exif datestamp.

To do that you just need to
        1) Sort the list of images into Exif date order
        2) Rename them with an incrementing number in the file name

You can do 2) already, so no problem there.
        You can sort a folder of images into Exif date order in Irfanview Thumbnails, select them all and then Start batch dialog with selected files. So you can do 1) if all your images are in the same folder.

If your images are in diffferent folders though you have to mess around assembling your list in the batch dialog, saving them as a text file, opening that in Thumbnails, sorting into Exif date order there, then sending them back to the batch dialog for processing.

What I would request is an option in the Batch dialog to sort into Exif date order.

Comment

Sadly I am very distrustful of your first suggestion (although it probably works) because windows is apt to resort invisibly between steps.

I was indeed requesting an option to batch rename on "Descriptor" <### by exif date>

This has to be about the commonest requirement to collate and rename pictures of an event "Davids Wedding" in order taken from a random list of 1204_PIC.jpg and IMG_1076.JPG into a coherent usable whole.

I suppose it never likely to happen ....

Comment

You can do it in two steps. Since it is very quick and easy, this shouldn't be a problem.

(1) include the date and an ascending counter in the filename via Irfan-Batch processing with a name pattern like this:

Wedding_$E36867(%Y%m%d)_$E36867(%H%M%S)_###

($E36867 is the placeholder for the Exif datetime value,
            ### will ensure unique filename in case several pictures have been taken within 1 second)

(2) Next repeat the Batch-process (this time with "sort by filename") with a name pattern like this
            Wedding_###

Done!

currently running 4.56 / 32 bit

Comment

Hmmm....

Would you like to explain that to (say) my wife?

Its not exactly "user-friendly", is it?

Alternatively if you could set and save such a sequence, giving it a user-friendly name, that would do. I could set it up and the ladies could use it.#

so to speak...

Comment

It would seem a reasonable request that all the Sort options currently available in Thumbnails might be included in the Batch (and Slideshow) dialog also.

Comment

Originally posted by Mij View Post
                  It would seem a reasonable request that all the Sort options currently available in Thumbnails might be included in the Batch (and Slideshow) dialog also.
                  Yes, thats a fair comment. I hope someone can do this, it would be appreciated.

Comment

I agree, that the synchronization of the sort criteria would be a good and helpful thing.

Originally posted by oz111 View Post
                    Hmmm....
                    Would you like to explain that to (say) my wife?
                    Sure, if you pay for my trip

Originally posted by oz111 View Post
                    Alternatively if you could set and save such a sequence, giving it a user-friendly name, that would do. I could set it up and the ladies could use it.
                    IV remembers last ten or so rename patterns. So, if you set it up and tell the ladies to use "that complicated one", it might do the job.

currently running 4.56 / 32 bit

Comment

Working...
                    X