Affinity file support

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Supported Affinity file support

This is my first post, so please forgive any mistakes!
    I've been using IrfanView for years and I really like using it. The one thing I do find a problem with is that it does not support Affinity file formats. I'm sure Affinity file types are more popular than many other file types that are already supported in IrfanView, and it is something that is often raised in the Affinity forums. AFAIK the only viewer that can open Affinity thumbnails/images is XnView, but I (and I'm sure a lot of other people) much prefer using IrfanView.
    It would be really useful if support for Affinity files could be added.

I am a long time user of Serif products, but I don't use Affinity products. In Windows Explorer, I can view thumbnails of PagePlus or DrawPlus files. Serif App files are a Zip archive with a different extension, and they contain a PNG preview image of the first page of the document.

It makes little sense to use IrfanView for opening multipage vector format files, as one can view them in Windows Explorer. What would be the justification for implementing this? What does XnView display for a multipage Affinity Designer file? Presumably, it is just a low resolution preview of the first page?

If IrfanView could open Affinity files like it does PDF files, that might be useful, but it is never going to happen if I know anything about Irfan Skiljan. If it is a simple matter of viewing the embedded preview image in a Zip archive, that might be possible.

Click image for larger version  Name:	DrawPlus File Preview Image.png Views:	0 Size:	108.7 KB ID:	92621
    Last edited by Bhikkhu Pesala; 28.09.2021, 08:11 AM.
    Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

Actually, this is not a bad idea. IrfanView could be able to view pictures packed in any ZIP archive as a multipage picture. It can already view icons and bitmaps embedded in EXE and DLL files, so that could work similarly.
      My system: IrfanView 4.62 64bit, Windows 10 22H2, Intel Core i5-3570, 16GB RAM, NVidia GTX 1050Ti 4GB

Comment

+1 for Affinity support
        XnView/Acdsee show the thumbnail image embedded on the file which is the Explorer compatible.

Comment

"It makes little sense to use IrfanView for opening multipage vector format files, as one can view them in Windows Explorer. "

Sorry for the really late reply, but you could say this about any file type - "use Windows explorer instead"! Obviously I want to use all the other features of Irfanview, I don't just want to look at the thumbnails!
          Affinity files are not always multipage or vector (although they can be). Irfanview can also open PDF and some vector file formats, so I don't understand why not Affinity as well! Is it purely for technical reasons?

Comment

You can always ask the developer Irfan Skiljan, if there is a possibility adding this format. The contact information is in the program: Help -> About IrfanView.
            My system: IrfanView 4.62 64bit, Windows 10 22H2, Intel Core i5-3570, 16GB RAM, NVidia GTX 1050Ti 4GB

Comment

Working...
            X