No announcement yet.

IrfanView to do any post procession or color corrections on videos

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Forwarded IrfanView to do any post procession or color corrections on videos

According to the mods, this is a feature request on how IrfanView renders video. I tried various mp4, avi, and webms and they all looked washed out compared to other players.
    The original thread is here. https://irfanview-forum.de/forum/pro...oks-washed-out

As stated by JendaLinda:
    IrfanView doesn't do any post procession or color corrections on videos. It relies just on video codecs installed in Windows and presents the video as it was decoded by the codec. So this is not a bug, rather it's a limitation of IrfanView's video playback.

I use it for cycling through videos quickly and comparing them to screenshot counterparts. It hampers my workflow seeing the videos washed out and being inaccurate.
    1. Your Operating System, and IrfanView version number.
      Windows 10 Version 4.58 64 bit
    2. Your hardware specification
      Intel(R) Xeon, 64 GB Ram RTX 3070
    3. A clear step-by-step recipe to reproduce the bug reliably. Without this, no one can confirm the bug, and no one can fix a bug that cannot be reproduced.
      1. Download, install and run the latest inrfanView with plugins.
      2. Confirm the video plugin is visible and installed.
      3. Open any video file.
      4. Compare the same video file with any other player, example VLC.
      Things I tried to fix the problem:
      1. enabled and disabled all checkboxes in the PlugIns section of the properties settings.
      2. Enabled the Color management checkbox. Selected Current monitor profile and Apply also for in images without embedded color profile. Put sRGB in the field.
    4. A screenshot or error message, if it is relevant
      [ATTACH=CONFIG]n93168[/ATTACH]
    5. A problematic file that causes the crash or error message, or a link to such a file.
      Any video from imgur should work
    I think this is a bug on how IrfanView renders video. I tried various mp4, avi, and webms and they all looked washed out compared to other players. I've updated the app and all the plug-ins. I also tried fixes for washed out pictures but it doesn't seem to work with this particular problem. Your Operating System, and

Video playback is tricky, there are lots of color standards in use. Video may look slightly different even among dedicated video players.

IrfanView is developed by a single developer, Irfan Skiljan. A slight difference in brightness of the video wouldn't bother most users. You may ask Irfan about this issue, however I'm not sure if improving the video playback would be worth the effort. After all, it's just a supplementary feature of IrfanView and there are better video players available.
    My system: IrfanView 4.62 64bit, Windows 10 22H2, Intel Core i5-3570, 16GB RAM, NVidia GTX 1050Ti 4GB

Comment

Ok, I'll send out an email to him.

Comment

Working...
      X