Clear All

Update to the logo of irfanview.exe

Hi folks, this is the irfanview icon on the website:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2022-07-05 1149242.png
Views:	644
Size:	87.0 KB
ID:	95195

I think would look very tidy as an icon.
    So I converted it to an .ico file and tested it on the properties of i_view64.exe

Name:	logo2.png
Views:	596
Size:	4.0 KB
ID:	95196
    ?

It looks rather good as both large and small icons on the taskbar...

Here it is large:

Name:	Screenshot 2022-07-05 115423.png
Views:	585
Size:	12.8 KB
ID:	95197

and small:

?Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2022-07-05 115517.png
Views:	585
Size:	7.7 KB
ID:	95198

What do you guys think?

For those who want to try it themselves follow the instructions below:
    1. Download and unzip this file: irfanview_logo.zip
    2. Next find the irfanview shortcut on your taskbar. Right click the shortcut, and right click again the "IrfanView 64 x.xx" (where x.xx stands for the current version) and click on ? Properties
    3. In Properties (under the shortcut tab), click "Change Icon..." and now click Browse to the location of irfanview_logo.ico in your downloads folder. Easy!

Thanks for reading, have a great day
    -dpnz
    Attached Files
    Last edited by dpattersonnz; 05.07.2022, 10:20 PM.
    IrfanView 4.60 • Windows 10 Pro

The site is not accessible because the certificate has expired. To upload unsupported file types to the forum, add them to a Zip or 7z archive, and attach that.
    Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

Hi Bhikku Pesala thank you for the notification.

I have edited the post to remove the expired link, and I have re-uploaded as a zip attachment irfanview_logo.zip (same as above).

One thing to note is the file inside the zipped folder is "logo2_2mo_icon.ico" (not irfanview_logo.ico as I said above) but will work either way.

Cheers

Comment

All good now. A slightly different matching version for IrfanView 32-bit would be a bonus.
        Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

How about this?

Name:	logo32.png
Views:	553
Size:	4.7 KB
ID:	95202

both this and the original in the zip folder below

irfanview_logos.zip

Comment

Originally posted by dpattersonnz View Post
            Hi folks, this is the irfanview icon on the website:

Click image for larger version  Name:	Screenshot 2022-07-05 1149242.png Views:	84 Size:	87.0 KB ID:	95195

I think would look very tidy as an icon.
            So I converted it to an .ico file and tested it on the properties of i_view64.exe

It looks rather good as both large and small icons on the taskbar...

Here it is large:

Click image for larger version  Name:	Screenshot 2022-07-05 115423.png Views:	84 Size:	12.8 KB ID:	95197

and small:

?Click image for larger version  Name:	Screenshot 2022-07-05 115517.png Views:	87 Size:	7.7 KB ID:	95198

What do you guys think?
            I liked your idea very much and remembered that long ago I thought of an icon update for IrfanView. I'm not sure if I talked about it with Irfan himself...

Now I thought of improving your proposal, maybe making the icon only a circle, like this:
            Click image for larger version  Name:	iv_icon2.png Views:	0 Size:	46.5 KB ID:	95741

Besides, I wonder if you can make the icons in the biggest size Windows can support. I don't know exactly which size is that, but check this screenshot I took from my Desktop folder and you may see what I'm talking about:

Click image for larger version  Name:	desktop_icons.png Views:	0 Size:	315.5 KB ID:	95740

Get it?
            Desktop PC: Windows 10 Pro - 64-bit • Intel Core i7 • 12 GB RAM
            Laptop PC: Windows 10 Pro - 64-bit • Intel Core i5 • 6 GB RAM
            IrfanView 4.60 • 32-bit

Comment

I think 256 x 256 pixels is the most that is needed. Some monitors have a very high resolution and can make good use of the extra pixels. The icons from dpattersonnz work OK for me, but bigger would be better to distinguish easily between 32-bit and 64-bit versions.

Name:	Start Menu Icons.png
Views:	496
Size:	98.4 KB
ID:	95743

Comment

Use IrfanView to resize them!

Comment

Originally posted by IrfanUserGuyxyx View Post
                  Use IrfanView to resize them!
                  It doesn't work well for that, because IV will resize everything in the bitmap image:

Click image for larger version  Name:	IV_icon_resized_256.png Views:	0 Size:	87.1 KB ID:	95759

To keep all the details perfect when resizing it's necessary to use a scalable format, like SVG, EPS or similar. Or we can use an icon editor, like Junior Icon Editor. But we need preferably a scalable version of that illustration in the IV logo. Honestly, I don't know what it is... a cat?

See this test 64 x 64 px icon I created with Junior Icon Editor. I simply imported the image to make it:

Click image for larger version  Name:	Beer glass icon 1.png Views:	0 Size:	12.6 KB ID:	95760
                  Last edited by Paultx; 22.09.2022, 10:39 PM.
                  IrfanView 4.60 • 32-bit

Comment

For some unknown reason I couldn't edit/update my previous post, so I wrote this one.

About the illustration in the logo, from Wikipedia:

Click image for larger version  Name:	IV_icon_wiki.png Views:	0 Size:	13.5 KB ID:	95762
                    Last edited by Paultx; 22.09.2022, 10:40 PM.
                    IrfanView 4.60 • 32-bit

Comment

Check this test I made with the PNG I downloaded from Wikipedia, imported to an artwork in CorelDRAW 2017 then exported to a new PNG, and finally converted to ICO using Junior Icon Editor:

Click image for larger version  Name:	image_6431.png Views:	4 Size:	28.5 KB ID:	95764

Now in my Desktop folder:

Click image for larger version  Name:	IV_new_icon_desktop_folder.png Views:	0 Size:	338.8 KB ID:	95765

It was just a test, I did it in a hurry, so there is room for improvement, perhaps applying volume and reflection to the border, like someone did to the "road cat" illustration.
                      Last edited by Paultx; 22.09.2022, 10:40 PM.
                      IrfanView 4.60 • 32-bit

Comment

I made one more test (PNG only), check below. I have to go back to work now!

Click image for larger version  Name:	IrfanView icon shadows.png Views:	0 Size:	34.5 KB ID:	95768
                        Last edited by Paultx; 22.09.2022, 10:41 PM.
                        IrfanView 4.60 • 32-bit

Comment

Originally posted by Paultx View Post
                          I made one more test (PNG only), check below. I have to go back to work now!

Click image for larger version Name:	IrfanView icon shadows.png Views:	0 Size:	34.5 KB ID:	95768
                          Based on that design, I made 32 and 64-bit icons with 256 px size and attached them in a ZIP file, in case you want to use them.

Name:	IV_shadows_icons.png
Views:	634
Size:	23.6 KB
ID:	95775
                          IrfanView shadows icons.zip
                          IrfanView 4.60 • 32-bit

Comment

Working...
                          X