Enable the use of lossless jpg transcode when converting jpg to jxl

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Enable the use of lossless jpg transcode when converting jpg to jxl

I've noticed that when converting jpg to jxl is not possible to specify to use the jpg transcode option or the standard conversion, this will often lead to file bigger than the original when doing a lossless conversion.
    Would it be possible to add a checkbox to select which method to use?

It has to be thought through how to implement this feature. I can't be done as a save option, because this could work only if the source file was jpeg and no changes were made in the picture.
    For time being, you can use cjxl program to perform lossles jpeg transcoding.
    My system: IrfanView 4.62 64bit, Windows 10 22H2, Intel Core i5-3570, 16GB RAM, NVidia GTX 1050Ti 4GB

Comment

It could be plugged into the JPEG Lossless Operations dialog. In place of the Optimize line, put.. Encoding: (•) Baseline, ( ) Optimized, ( ) Arithmetic, ( ) JPEG-XL. Most of the options that aren't supported for JXL should become greyed out. A downside of doing this is that would then likely break compatibility with old Windows if Irfan doesn't conditionally check for the OS version. Or a new plugin could be made for the Options menu with only two options, to output JPEG or JPEG-in-JXL.

Comment

Working...
      X