Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

JPEG XL plugin changes colors when saving images

Hello.

I would like to use Irfanview with the JPEG XL plugin to save files to JXL. Unfortunately it seems that colors are changed when saving images even when Irfanview's color management is disabled (and Windows display profile is set to none/sRGB).

Saving files using another format does not change colors (JPG, PNG...).

Do all pictures have this issue? I've tried to save a random PNG image as JXL and both images look pretty much the same.
    My system: IrfanView 4.62 64bit, Windows 10 22H2, Intel Core i5-3570, 16GB RAM, NVidia GTX 1050Ti 4GB

Comment

Thanks for the quick reply!

Hm, seems like I might have tested disabling color management, but without restarting Irfanview. Once I restart IV after disabling CM it seems to work properly.

I am still confused why CM would even cause a color shift (from wide gamut to sRGB) with "Current Monitor profile" even when I specifically set my Windows display profile to none or sRGB?! Where does it still get my wide gamut display profile from (browsers do the same)?
      Last edited by Timur; 19.01.2022, 09:29 AM.

Comment

Unfortunately memory consumption goes through the roof for JXL encoding and decoding (same for XnView). Encoding a 19200 x 25200 px image of 1.35 gb uncompressed TIFF size uses more than my 16 gb for encoding and thus needs to use the pagefile to finish. Decoding the image peaks at over 12 gb, while decoding the same as TIFF or PNG only hits a peak of about 1.35 gb and JPEG a peak of about 2.3 gb.

Comment

IrfanView is very simple image viewer with some editing capabilities. In IrfanView, the color profile support is quite limited. Color corrections are applied when the picture is decoded to the bitmap. When you save the image, what you see is what is saved to the file, and no color profile is saved to the file.

All programs supporting JXL are relying on libjxl library. The library is doing all the work and is responsible for the performance. The library is still in development. Check out the libjxl github page. There are contacts to social media, where you can talk with the developers and other JXL users.
          My system: IrfanView 4.62 64bit, Windows 10 22H2, Intel Core i5-3570, 16GB RAM, NVidia GTX 1050Ti 4GB

Comment

Thank you, the information is well appreciated. ?

Comment

Working...
            X