Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why does my command not work on batch file but work when typing directly in CMD?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why does my command not work on batch file but work when typing directly in CMD?

Hi, I'm a first-day user of IrfanView and have a question. I have a bunch of multi-page tiff files and I want to split all of them individually.

So I write a batch file with the command like this:

C:\Program Files\IrfanView>i_view64.exe D:\originaldirectory\filename1.tif /extract=(D:\newdirectory,tif)
    C:\Program Files\IrfanView>i_view64.exe D:\originaldirectory\filename2.tif /extract=(D:\newdirectory,tif)

...and so on...

I put the batch file on D drive, let's say in folder "batchfolder". But it can't do the job, this message shows up for each unsuccessful case (all of them were unsuccessful):

D:\batchfolder>C:\Program Files\IrfanView D:\originaldirectory\filename1.tif /extract=(D:\newdirectory,tif) 1>i_view64.exe
    'C:\Program' is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file.

I guess that has something to do with the batch file location, so I bring it to C drive. But still it can't run properly, this time a different message shows up:

C:\>C:\Program Files\IrfanView D:\originaldirectory\filename1.tif /extract=(D:\newdirectory,tif) 1>i_view64.exe
    Access is denied.

This C:\>C:\ makes me think maybe the C:\ part on the batch file was redundant. So I take it out to make it look like this:

Program Files\IrfanView>i_view64.exe D:\originaldirectory\filename1.tif /extract=(D:\newdirectory,tif)
    Program Files\IrfanView>i_view64.exe D:\originaldirectory\filename2.tif /extract=(D:\newdirectory,tif)

But it doesn't work, either with the batch file on D or C drive.

I then try to type it directly in the CMD window and it works normally, like this:

C:\Program Files\IrfanView>i_view64.exe D:\originaldirectory\filename1.tif /extract=(D:\newdirectory,tif)

Can you tell where my batch file goes wrong?

Note: cross-post here: https://stackoverflow.com/questions/...-typing-direct. Hope it doesn't violate the policy.
    Last edited by NonSleeper; 01.06.2017, 08:25 AM.

As I thought, the problem is with the space in the path name. You need to use quotes as the reply says on Stack X-Change.

Cross-posting is fine, provided you tell us and provide a link. That way, no one is wasting their time figuring out the solution to a question that has already been answered.

I wish everyone would do this when cross-posting.
    Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

Originally posted by Bhikkhu Pesala View Post
      As I thought, the problem is with the space in the path name. You need to use quotes as the reply says on Stack X-Change.

Cross-posting is fine, provided you tell us and provide a link. That way, no one is wasting their time figuring out the solution to a question that has already been answered.

I wish everyone would do this when cross-posting.
      Thanks much, that space is the problem and a loop would seems more efficient. An issue with both solutions, though, is that the original tiff files open when being split, which I don't need. Is there a way that I tell the command just to split files quietly?

Comment

Working...
      X