all pictures in windows explorer show up as the red character

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Solved all pictures in windows explorer show up as the red character

If I go to windows explorer and click on my pictures directory I get a long list of files that are mostly jpegs, they all show as the red character and do not show the picture?

If I open the preview pane on the right side of the page and click on one of the jpegs it shows on the right side of the page as the red character and doesn't open the picture?

If I double click on any jpeg file it opens the irfanview page and shows the picture.

Anyone know how to fix this?

Please fill in your forum profile so that we know which version you're using on which OS.

Are these images on a local drive, or some kind of network drive? I have never seen this "red character." A screen shot might be helpful as a reminder in case anyone else has seen it before.
    Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

I have filled the version and OS in my profile.
      These are files in my windows explorer on my computer, the same happens with pictures from other places.
      The red character is the one that shows up as the icon on my screen I click to open irfanview, like a startled cat stuck to a window.
      It shows up on all my pictures and everywhere I have anything to do with irfanview, I will try to photo it.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20170707_181208048[1].jpg
Views:	1
Size:	921.9 KB
ID:	81708
        here is a photo of the windows explorer screen

Comment

That icon is a squashed cat on a road.

It shows that the picture type is associated with IrfanView.

If you want to see thumbnails, you need to change the Windows Explorer options to show Large Icons instead of Details or List.
          Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

the photo you see is of medium icons, it is the same but larger if I go to large icons.

Comment

found it . windows explorer tools/folder options/view had a box 'always show icons never thumbnails' checked. Unchecked it and got my pictures back

Comment

Just curious. Why are you still using such an old version of IrfanView?

Comment

Working...
                X