Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why IrfanView not always open in my computer (like Acdsee 2)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why IrfanView not always open in my computer (like Acdsee 2)

Every time Irfanview got a new version, I'll update, play for a while, then it's forgotten.
    I always have acdsee 2 open in my computer, no matter what I'm doing.
    I started to think why this time.

IrfanView main viewer got an empty space, then I can click open one picture at a time.
    Nope, that's not what I want to do for most of the time... I'll just quickly browser through my picture collection, sometimes I'll sort files into different folders, or I'll drag the file to photoshop window to edit.

IrfanView thumbnail is what I wanted.
    It's blazingly fast. Thumbs up. I can double click open for a better view. Yes.
    But it's got serious short coming (even to do basic task)

(1) It lacks a folder up button. I'm old fashion, and I like the two period to go up.
    New windows try to hide the fact two period is up, fine... doesn't matter, there is a UP arrow on the tool bar. IrfanView has neither.

(2) Subfolder is not listed in the right panel. I sort my pictures like Japan as main folder, then below Day1,Day2,Day3 etc. If I click on the folder tree on Japan, I am confused to see an empty space on the file panel, every time. To navigate, you have to go back to the tree.
    To be more confuse, if you have hide the directory tree. You can't move around.

(3) Thumbnails.... no way to change size at will? (good to have)

(4) sometimes I work in detail list. But, no preview of the pic under the pointer? Strange. A small preview window, or, pic pop up at cursor, none. (serious)

(5) IrfanView hide files of types she doesn't know. It often makes me feel I have less files there.
    I often mix pictures with other things, like html files, or programming stuff, IrfanView mislead me that there is only a few pictures in that folder.
    PS. It is even weirder to list out txt files. I never expect a picture viewer try to show me text.
    And be honest, it is the worst text viewer i ever encounter. For a lengthy file, you can't see the text at all (too small to read). And you can't select some text. What's the point showing text as graphics like that?
    I appreciate that IrfanView can view PDF too. But with basic setup, everytime you encounter a PDF, it pops up an error window telling you to install something. You have to click close the pop up. Just too tedious. I can live without PDF, but don't nag me to install something else.

Well, maybe IrfanView thumbnail never intent to be a file manager.
    But I found myself return to the decade old acdc 2, even though it has big flaws like can't auto-rotate picture and not supporting Unicode. But it serve as a file manager very well and always keep open on my desktop.

Just some random thoughts.
Working...
X