IrfanView vs ShortPixel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

IrfanView vs ShortPixel

Hey guys I mainly use IrfanView to compress images for the web. The thing is, I know for a fact there are these paid tools that "somehow" manage to reduce the file size and preserve the quality, such example would be ShortPixel or Kraken etc. However I don't want to pay monthly fee just for to keep dozens of images in check per month. When I compare IrfanView with ShortPixel for example (in my case I used 8MB image 4k x 3k pixels image), the final results were 1.5 MB compressed image by IrfanView and 546 KB with ShortPixel. And for the quality (both were set to ~80% quality) judging by the eye I would say they look pretty the same. So my question is - Is there any way to accomplish this with IrfanView and replicate that quality (ShortPixel)? Should I use any specific settings or perhaps IrfanView can't accomplish that quality, no matter how much I tweak the settings?

For high quality photographs, 80% is the most that you need to use for the web. This can be reduced significantly depending on the image data. These are what I recommend as a rule of thumb:

1. Photographis of buildings or machinery = 80%
    2. Photographs of people = 70%
    3. Photographs of landscapes = 50%
    4. Photographs of seascapes = 40%
    5. Images of dialogues, application toolbars, or text = always use PNG not JPG. Reduce colour depth if you're desperate to save on file sizes.

Compression versus Quality
    Last edited by Bhikkhu Pesala; 31.03.2018, 09:54 AM.
    Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

You can save more file size by using WebP format. Websites can provide a JPG fall-back image for browsers that do not support WebP format.

On my site, I offer a low resolution JPG image, with a high resolution WebP version for those who want it.
      Last edited by Bhikkhu Pesala; 31.03.2018, 09:52 AM.
      Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

Thanks for the quick reply Bhikkhu, I was actually looking into color depth but wasn't sure which one to choose? Currently, it is set up to Custom Color 0 and Floyd Steinberg is checked. I'm just downloading the 4.51 version to try the JPG_TRANSFORM plugin (according to Wikipedia provides lossless compression?). Thanks for the suggestions I'll make notes and try to follow the percentage you recommend.

Comment

Wow, that's a great tip, I just downloaded WebP Converter at Google developers and will test it out. Thanks buddy!

Oh I just saw I just need to save it as webP via IrfanView.
          Last edited by donovan; 31.03.2018, 10:34 AM.

Comment

Just one follow up on my initial question - What technology or image compression "magic" do this online paid tools use that they beat IrfanView in that matter? Do you think IrfanView can accomplish the same one day? I mean I'm in love with this tool, and I have been using for more than a year, it saves me so much time (especially the batch function), but yet again I'm curious what's the difference.

Comment

Whatever algorithm they use they will protect it with licensing restrictions. IrfanView can only use free codecs so it may not get optimal results.

Compressed a high quality image at ShortPixel. IrfanView estimated it to be compressed at a quality setting of 37, which is pretty low. Compressing the same image with IrfanView at that quality resulted in a larger image (380 Kb instead of 291 Kb with ShortPixel).

Compare the results: Left IrfanView; Right ShortPixel.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Compression 37.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	380.3 KB
ID:	83081Click image for larger version

Name:	Short Pixel.jpg
Size:	291.0 KB
ID:	83082

The WebP image was only 180 Kb @ 37 Quality.

There are feature requests for IrfanView to support other compression formats, but what we have already is good enough. 380 Kb instead of 8.16 Mbytes is not too shabby, but I would go for higher quality.

I guess you used Glossy on ShortPixel instead of Lossy?
              Last edited by Bhikkhu Pesala; 31.03.2018, 12:14 PM.

Comment

I was using the Lossy compression type. But the 37 quality explains a lot. Also, I was assuming that ShortPixel was using ~80, because I got 94% lossy, but I was wrong apparently. I know that I set the IfranView quality to 80. That should expain the difference. P.S. I just tested with 37 quality just for fun and the IrfanView shows better quality at least for my eye.

Here's are the samples

Ifran:

Name:	Bodybuilding Man with dumbbells Pixel Test IRFAN.jpg
Size:	591.7 KB
ID:	83083

ShortPixel:

Name:	Bodybuilding Man with dumbbells Pixel Test.jpg
Size:	546.9 KB
ID:	83084

P.S. It appears that the quality for the ShortPixel Image is 47 (accoring to IrfanView).

Here's an update with 47:

Name:	Bodybuilding Man with dumbbells Pixel Test 47.jpg
Size:	713.6 KB
ID:	83085
                Last edited by donovan; 31.03.2018, 12:51 PM.

Comment

Working...
                X