Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Solved Windows 10 UWA Apps icons all change to Irfanview icons

Hi everyone, this is my first post.

I did some searching earlier and I saw posts relating to Windows Explorer icons https://irfanview-forum.de/showthread.php?t=7275.

However this relates to Universal Windows App icons, I have attached some images to show.

In this image, Alarms & Clock appears fine
    Click image for larger version

Name:	alarm-clock-normal.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	118.9 KB
ID:	85149

However in this image, it's icon is replaced by Irfanview

Name:	alarm-clock-ouch.jpg
Size:	109.3 KB
ID:	85150

And the same happens to Mail and Settings

Name:	mail+settings-ouch.jpg
Size:	116.4 KB
ID:	85151

I have no idea how to fix it. I removed all irfanview file associations and then custom set them myself, and I cleared the Windows icon cache. Please help because this is really annoying.

I'm having the same issue. Have you found a solution?
    thanks

Comment

Same here on Windows 10 1809, IrfanView 4.53 64-bit.. I notice that specifically it is using the PCX icon.

Name:	2019-06-06 10_15_57-Download IrfanView latest release.png
Size:	14.9 KB
ID:	83288

Comment

Oh my god someone else with this issue. Have you managed to find a solution? I cleared the icon cache and stuff, but nothing's worked so far.

It drives me insane.

Comment

Same problem, ugly red icon remains for all programs in Start Menu even after complete uninstall with registry cleanup. How do I get rid of this nasty trash?

Thanks.

Comment

I'm having the same issue - on all our family laptops running different types of Windows 10 (1806, 1903, 1909) and display languages.

Uninstalling IrfanView did not change anything! This is so bad!

cheerioh
            SiS

Comment

Dear Sufferes

Edit: my solution below does not work! it fixes (in my case) only the icon for the PINNED app, but not the icon for the search result apps! I'm sorry, ignore my initial post below!

cheerioh
              SiS

initial post:

I've found a NOT WORKING solution to fix the icon of my "Calculator"-App:
              1. hit Windows-Key
              2. start typing the name of your troublesome "App", e.g. "Calc..."
              3. in the context menue of the App choose "App Settings"
              4. in the app Settings, scroll down, and hit "reset"
              5. wait until app is reset

my Calculator App does now show the original Calculator-Icon.

HTH
              Last edited by stehtimschilf; 03.04.2020, 05:31 AM. Reason: non working solution

Comment

Nothing seems to be helping here. Not even the last solution(tried rebooting after it too).

Comment

Hi Shaga

I'm sorry and yes, I can conform, the steps in my "solution" fixes ONLY the icon for the pinned apps in the start menu, but not the icons of the search result!

my bad & cheerioh
                  SiS

Comment

This is very aggravating. All of my Windows 10 app icons (Settings, Office, OneNote, even downloaded apps such as MyRadar) have changed to the Irfanview splat cat icon with various colored backgrounds, even after uninstalling Irfanview and clearing my icon cache. I've previously had a good opinion of this little program, however this behavior seems like malware to me... Windows 10 Pro 1909. Any suggestions for a fix where I don't have to re-install my OS are greatly appreciated. TIA!

Name:	ApplicationFrameHost_0BWCsAnQ0O.png
Size:	611.9 KB
ID:	83404

Name:	ApplicationFrameHost_8dvOhcKT57.png
Size:	141.3 KB
ID:	83405

Name:	ApplicationFrameHost_A8PvVqZMZm.png
Size:	143.4 KB
ID:	83406

Name:	ApplicationFrameHost_UnlyEJLxHr.png
Size:	146.6 KB
ID:	83407

Name:	ApplicationFrameHost_YyYI58ZpgC.png
Size:	138.2 KB
ID:	83408

Comment

Try a System Restore to the point before you installed IrfanView.
                      Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.60 • Windows 10 Home

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

same problem here.
                        solved with IrfanView app uninstall.
                        Last edited by chris_t; 27.04.2020, 08:05 AM.

Comment

@zcoffin try issue#2 and #3 from

https://superuser.com/questions/1319...or-in-settings

Even though your settings are set like mentioned in the post above, "(un)check" them, hit apply and "(un)check" them again. I cannot tell you, which one solved my issue, but it #2 or #3 did.

cheerioh
                          SiS

Comment

Hi,
                            I just realized that I had the same problem with those icons being hijacked by IrfanView. For me a fix described here solved the issue:
                            https://superuser.com/questions/1498...ur-phones-icon

Namely this:
                            1. Start Registry Editor.
                            2. Navigate to HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.png.
                            3. Look for a ShellEx key with at least one subkey. If you see any subkeys, you've probably found the culprit.
                            4. Delete the subkeys.
                            5. Right click on the ShellEx key and click on permissions.
                            6. Under Groups or user names select Administrators and under the permissions tick Deny for both Full Control and Read and then and choose OK.
                            7. Skipped: Restart your PC and if you have more than one monitor attached to your system, turn off the power to them. Only keep one monitor active.
                            8. In Windows Search type Change the scale of text, apps and other items and then select the matching item. It will take you to the appropriate Settings Display page.
                            9. On the Display Settings page under Scale and layout change your scale from 100% (or whatever is the scale currently set on on your system) to a different scale.
                            10. Once you change the scale first wait at least 10 seconds and then search again for any UWP apps whose icons were broken before. You should see that these icons are back to their normal state. If you don't see that, again change the scale back to the original and then again to a different one. Do it a couple of times as in some cases, it takes more than one try to make it happen. Every time you change the scale first wait at least 10 seconds and then search again to check if the issue has been resolved. As soon as you see the issue is resolved, change the display scale back to your original scale.

Comment

Originally posted by Todeskult View Post
                              Hi,
                              I just realized that I had the same problem with those icons being hijacked by IrfanView. For me a fix described here solved the issue:
                              https://superuser.com/questions/1498...ur-phones-icon
                              Thank you for sharing.

My system: IrfanView 4.60 64bit, Windows 10 21H2, Intel Core i5-3570, 16GB RAM, AMD Radeon RX550 2GB

Comment

Working...
                              X