Getting an error message - "Error: Can't register hotkey!"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Getting an error message - "Error: Can't register hotkey!"

I use the hotkey "C" frequently to take a screenshot of a selected portion of my screen.
    Recently I have been getting an error message when I do this. Error: Can't register hotkey!.

It's not a huge problem because I click it's "OK" button and proceed as normal.
    But it is sort of an inconvenience.

I'm using an updated Windows 10 and version 4.54 64 bit.

That's all.

Thanks for the great image viewer.

Greg Chapp

Are you using any other software like Autohotkey that might be causing this conflict?
    Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

I get the same error message occasionally and have figured out how to reproduce the error. It seems when there are multiple instances of IV running and one instance has a screen capture that hasn't been saved, and you try to do a screen capture with the second instance of IV, it throws this error "Error: Can't register hotkey!" Clicking OK will let you proceed and the second capture is opened in the second instance of IV.

I'm running IrfanView 4.58 64 bit on Windows 10 v.10.0.18363 Build 18363, 16 GB RAM. My capture setup is 5) custom rectangle/region capture, show captured image in main window, Automatic timer delay (not for option 5,6) and Include mouse cursor(not for options 5,6). I'm not running any other software like Autohotkey to my knowledge.

Here's how to reproduce the error message.
      1. Open 2 instances of Irfanview.
      2. Go to the first instance of IV.
      3. Take a screen capture by pressing "C" and hit Enter key.
      4. Draw a rectangle to capture a portion of the screen.
      5. After capture, IV instance 1 shows the capture. DONT close Instance 1 of IV or save the file.
      6. Go to the Second instance of IV.
      7. Repeat steps 3 and 4.
      8. After capture, IV instance 2 shows and error is thrown.

I also noticed while testing and the following happens even if only 1 instance of IV is opened. Once you make an initial capture by pressing the "C" key and hitting enter, you can then take successive captures using the default hotkey CTRL+F11 even though the hotkey capture option is NOT selected and greyed out. Making a capture like this in a second instance of IV also throws the error "Error: Can't register hotkey!".

The error also gets thrown if you save the file in instance 1, then try a capture in instance 2. It seems to me it has something to do with having multiple instances of IV opened. Hope this helps.

Comment

Working...
      X