Save Failures

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Save Failures

I had a number of photos today that I needed rename, edit and resize that turned into a major project because the changes that I made were not being saved.

Not completely sure, but it appears that the problem was happening when I was clicking the "save icon" rather than using the "save, original folder" menu.

When the problem became obvious, I would make a change in the image, then save, then exit IrfanView and reopen the file to find that the edits that I had just made were not saved.

I also noticed that on some, but not all, of the "saves" the "Replace..." dialog did not appear after the filename dialog.

Using a registered copy of 4.53 on Win 8.1, logged in as non admin user, and working on files in the public folder.

Am I missing something obvious?

Thanks in advance,

The default is Save as... to prevent novice users overwriting their images by mistake.

If you upgrade to the latest version 4.56 you can hold Ctrl when clicking the button to get the Save (original folder) option. You can, of course, always use Ctrl+S.

You would get a replace warning whenever you open an image that is in your default Save as.. format, but if it is in a different format, it will just save it in the default Save as.. format.
    Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

Thanks for the response. However the problem is not with the options on how to save, but, in this case, after work was edited and saved, the edits were not in the saved file.

I downloaded and installed 4.56 and will monitor and see if I have the same problem.

I did, however, observe on this computer where I only use the administrator login when required for maintenance and settings, the update install did not work when I ran it as a normal user.

In addition, I received no notification from either windows or IrfanView that the update had not been installed and had to go into IrfanView's "about" to find out that the install had failed. When I ran the install as administrator, the update was installed.

One suspicion is that this is a windows problem that happens when IrfanView takes system actions in the case of the logged in user having insufficient rights to allow the action.

...for example, is it possible that IrfanView assumes administrator rights in some actions? IrfanView goes back to days when there were no security issues that could be exploited when if the user was always logged in with administrator rights.

The problem in my case is that I'm getting no dialogs about administrator rights being required when the possibility exists that something is not working behind the scenes so I don't have enough information to know why things are going wrong.

Not complaining since IrfanView is far too valuable a tool for me... just posting in case something got missed way back when.

Thanks again for a great program,
      Beverly Howard

Comment

May be IV saved them in wrong location? Click save icon and check the path.

If you tried to write in windows protected folders it may put files in %LOCALAPPDATA%\VirtualStore
        IV 4.56 32-bit

Comment

Working...
        X