Transparent Pasting?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Solved Transparent Pasting?

I'm guessing that this is not possible, but thought I would ask.

Is there any way to paste onto an image with parts of the pasted clip being transparent?

For example, a two color line drawing image where the background could be designated as transparent so that only the lines are visible on top of the original image after the paste?

(I'm trying very hard to avoid switching from IrfanView to software that supports layers)

Beverly Howard

I think paste won't work, but try Insert Overlay Image, from the Edit menu.
    Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

Wow! That is excellent for meeting my current need.... can't believe I have not seen it for all these years!

Thanks!

Beverly Howard

Comment

I don't fully understand it yet, but it seems that the PNG transparent Alpha Layer is allowing a completely transparent paste onto the original image.

Gonna be a fun day experimenting.

Thanks again,
        Beverly

Comment

Now sizing questions...

Selecting an area on the original in advance, positions the overlay, but it is inserted at the resolution of the inserted file's resolution and not constrained by the selections lower right corner.

I can see that it's possible to resize the overlay image to match the selection size, so, can someone confirm that there is not another way to fit the overlay into a selection?

It appears that if I use batch mode to insert the overlay, the tools are there for doing that, but not there when editing a single image. (I have not fooled with batch mode yet)

Thanks in advance,
          Beverly Howard

Comment

Working...
          X