Keeping Image quality

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Keeping Image quality

I would just like to know the easiest way to take a small image and enlarge it 3 times the size keeping the same resolution and also if its possible to enhance the quality?

Anything enlarged three times its size is going to lose all sharpness and any flaws will be magnified. You can't use data that doesn't exist. How bad it gets depends on the original image, too. There is a better, "smarter" resizing algorithm that gives some pretty good results but IV doesn't have it. You can experiment with what it does have to see what works best with your image(s). The Lanczos filter keeps detail best, but magnifies jpeg artifacts horribly. B-spline is soft. Others...here and there. Sharpening after is not good. It is always better not to enlarge.

http://www.benvista.com/ has the PhotoZoom Pro program available as a free demo. It is pretty darned good. Demo watermarks images...but screenshots are possible
    Its: Belongs to "It"
    It's: Shortened form of "It is"
    ---------------------
    Lose: Fail to keep
    Loose: Not tight

---------------------
    Plurals do not require apostrophes

Comment

Asking for keeping up quality and for the easiest way is often a contradiction.
      The question is too simplified, because there are no specifications about the small image.
      And I can say that if it's enlarged 3 times, it's barely impossible to enhance anything.

To keep up the quality, some rules can be used :
      1) Before any modification, if necessary, convert the original to the highest resolution.
      So "increase color depth' and save as f.e. filename_x.
      2) Open that file and do the modification.
      In this case enlarging would mean to have 'resampling' enabled in the Resize dialog as a must.
      Then it's the choice of the filter to check for the best result.
      3) If relevant, decrease the color depth of the result to the original resolution, and save.
      Rest In Peace, Sam!

Comment

I tried the benvista program and it works pretty well for what I'm doing...thanks for the help

Comment

SAR Image Processor has the most options for enlarging that I've seen. It's really hard to use (and it doesn't allow saving in the free version -- you can screenshot it, though ), so you have to be pretty adventurous. :P

Comment

Working...
          X