sort by exif

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

sort by exif

In the thumbnail view I am able to sort my images by EXIF ( date taken) which is great. I would like to retain this sort of my images outside of Irfanview in a Windows file, or my original Windows input file. Is this possible ?

I don't understand what you want to do but try this.
    • Sort the thumbnails how you want
    • Select All
    • File menu, Save selected files as current slideshow
    • Switch to the Viewer
    • Open the Slideshow dialogue
    • Save slideshow as a text file

Does that get you any nearer to your desired result?
    Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

You can save your sort order by choosing File>Save selected file names as TXT in the Thumbnail window. You can then reload them by choosing Options>Load file list from TXT file.

You can have any sort order you want in Windows if you choose View>Icons, Tiles, or Thumbnails and uncheck View>Arrange Icons By>Auto Arrange. The problem is there is no easy way to export your sorted files into a Windows folder.

One way you might get around it is by renaming your files. Select your files in the Thumbnail window and choose File>Start Batch dialog with selected files. From there, if you have No sort preselected in the batch dialog's Sort Order, the files should still be in the right order in the batch dialog if you select them correctly. Now you should be able to rename them using a pattern like ### $N. This will number your files with a prefix and retain the original name, thus allowing you to view them in a Windows folder in the right order.

You also might try sorting by the Details column Date Picture Taken in Windows if that works correctly for you.
      Last edited by Skippybox; 27.10.2008, 08:20 PM.

Comment

sort by exif

Sorry, I guess I am not explaining myself very well. My images in my windows file were taken over a period of several days using 2 different cameras, many pictures taken on the same day and time by these cameras. when I use the windows folder "sort by date taken" it sorts each cameras images by date taken but keeps each cameras images as separate sorts, even though many images are on same days and times.
        When I input these images into Ifranview and sort them by exif "date taken' in the Thumbnails view it puts them all in the right day/time sequence and then I play the slide show.
        What I would like to do is to copy, or save, the way Infraview sorted the images in the slide show, and put them into a new windows folder which would then have them sorted they way I need them for other puposes..
        Hope I am making more sense.

Comment

Notice you can also load a TXT file in the Batch dialog. So, you can use Bhikkhu's idea to go from SlideShow to Batch Rename.
          Last edited by Skippybox; 27.10.2008, 09:03 PM.

Comment

Many thanks Bhikkhu and Skippybox for your quick responses and expert advice. You saved the day !
            Peter

Comment

Glad to help!!!

Comment

Working...
              X