mysterious disappearance of .exe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

mysterious disappearance of .exe

Lastest version of IrfanView, XP Service Pack 2.

Six times now I've uninstalled IrfanView 4.0 and reinstalled it, only to find its .exe missing from the folder and the application disabled after a day or two. All icons are missing, as well.

I believe I disallowed IrfanView from checking for new versions with Windows Defender, and then removed this successful action from Defender's quarantine list. I've uninstalled Defender and reinstalled a new version and updated it, but I still can't keep the .exe alive.

Is there any fix for this? I need my IrfanView, a superior application.

Are you saying that you have software on your computer that deletes files at its own will??

Comment

I would say : down the drain with "Windows Defender"
      Rest In Peace, Sam!

Comment

I think we should ask Irfan to write some code to delete Windows Defender if it detects it.

This is a support forum for Irfan View. The problem seems to lie with Windows Defender. I suggest you ask on a general PC forum or on a Windows Defender forum if there is one.
        Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

If IrfanView would be able to delete Windows Defender, it would fight it with the same dreadful means.
          Because deleting each other's exe-file is just not done. People should be free to install anything.
          So IrfanView should try to make an immunity for this, or maybe there is some workaround.
          Rest In Peace, Sam!

Comment

Originally posted by Sam_Zen View Post
            Because deleting each other's exe-file is just not done. People should be free to install anything.
            I think the point is that Windows Defender is supposed to delete programs like trojans and spyware, but for some reason it thinks that Irfan View is spyware and so sends it to quarantine. I was joking when I said that perhaps Irfan should write some code to delete Windows Defender, but then Windows Defender should not delete a very well-known and legitimate program like IV. It is not our duty to solve problems created by other software, nor should Irfan have to fix his code unless it is doing something naughty.
            Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

I am running both IrfanView (since many years) and Windows Defender (since the latest re-installation half a year ago of Windows XP, done by a professional firm after a severe virus attack). Windows Defender here never deleted anything. It once or twice gave a warning about something it thought suspicious.

I had never looked at Windows Defender closely, and now I see that under Options "Default action (Definition based)" is checked, not Ignore, Remove, or Quarantine.

IF Windows Defender has not been customized otherwise, I cannot imagine it being the culprit.
              J.A.G.

Comment

Thank you all for your replies. It is indeed a mystery to me. I thought installing a new copy of Defender would fix this, for it makes sense to me if the old "successful actions" were deleted a new beginning would result in fixing the mess. I left Defender's preferences at default and it allows applications that have "permission" to access the Internet. However, after two days, the .exe that is IrfanView simply disappears from its folder.

I run PC-Cillin, 2007, up to date, but I've used that for years with the previous version of IrfanView with no problem. I'm quite sure it's not a conflict with Trend's application.

Despite the fact I have uninstalled and reinstalled a newly-downloaded version of Defender, the Registry may still contain my unwise command to quarantine the "successful action" to deny IrfanView access to the Internet.

If this is indeed the scenario.

I shall talk to the Defender forum if I can find it and see if they have any suggestions. I shall also run my registry clean-up program, just in case.

Thank you all for your input. I'll report back if I make any progress. I may delete Defender entirely and see if that fixes the problem. I do like Defender's interface that allows me to see what is happening inside the computer, though.

What Windows needs is a good defenestration. :-)

Comment

That is the result of entrusting an antivirus to run your computer. It makes decisions what is right and what is wrong.

I had similar experience with Norton Antivirus on a friend's computer. Somehow it had decided that Opera should not be allowed to talk to the Internet. Installation of a different version didn't change this behaviour. Only when NAV was completely eradicated did the computer regain freedom.

Comment

Shoot, I knew Windows Defender was a virus!

Originally posted by J.A.G. View Post
                    I had never looked at Windows Defender closely, and now I see that under Options "Default action (Definition based)" is checked, not Ignore, Remove, or Quarantine.
                    What is the "Default action?"

I imagine it leaves every precious configuration file it owns plus twenty megabytes of shtuff in the Windwoes Registry when it pretends to get uninstalled. That is why it comes back with the same attitude. Lots of luck in the Defender forums

Try a third-party anti-malware product - there are some very good free ones - and a registry cleaner.
                    Its: Belongs to "It"
                    It's: Shortened form of "It is"
                    ---------------------
                    Lose: Fail to keep
                    Loose: Not tight

---------------------
                    Plurals do not require apostrophes

Comment

To B.P. - Sorry, I didn't recognize the joke at that moment.
                      Originally posted by j7n
                      That is the result of entrusting an antivirus to run your computer.
                      I second this completely. These applications create a non-realistic sense of safety at the customer. But they're always running behind the facts. If an net-virus or trojan can spread easily because of stupid settings in Inlook Express, etc, it has a global damage within a day. Then the antivirus company has to develope an antidote for it. So it's always too late the first time.
                      You named Norton Antivirus. Really a horror construction. It indeed takes over your system. Even the removal of it appeared to be a hell of a job. Because after the de-installation, the part with 'Live Update' stayed active on the system. A very brutal trick imo.

This safe-illusion doesn't make users not only rely on these apps, but also have the effect of leaning back, and not being alert anymore. No big deal to click on a button saying 'clickme'.., because if something goes wrong, the system will fix it.
                      If one wants maximum security of one's own house, one will be a prisoner in one's own house.

(So, after years of struggle with anti-virus and -spyware, I got really fed up with it, and decided to remove all about a year ago, and rely on my own common sense, alertness, to spot risky things. And I was happily freed of the constant HD-rattling these apps produce, making totally useless scans on anything, or slowing the boot-process.)

Originally posted by matera
                      Try a third-party anti-malware product - there are some very good free ones - and a registry cleaner.
                      Such ware can be found at the Final Builds site.
                      Before I stopped, I used "Spybot Search & Destroy". Never had problems with a wrong deletion.
                      A registry cleaner is a solid point. Because it is possible with traces of a program in the registry, to start some executable again.
                      This is an underestimated factor also related to safety, the maintenance of the system. Cleaning up things.

I get already suspicious with terms like 'anti' or 'defender'. But both waiting for an attack, not doing prevention.
                      So these apps shouldn't be called protectors, but 'cleaners'. Afterwards, they can remove the infection.
                      And so I would use them, if I would make a stupid mistake. But after the correction, I would de-install again.
                      And of course, I still rely on my system's firewall settings.
                      Rest In Peace, Sam!

Comment

Working...
                      X