Can't save files - plain old JPG

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can't save files - plain old JPG

This is the error message I get when I try to save a photo: "JPG save error! Can't open file to write." I don't recall changing anything, and this just started a couple of weeks ago. Can anyone help?

It looks like the image is already open in another program.
    Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

This might be a permission problem. Try to save the file to a different folder.
      My system: IrfanView 4.62 64bit, Windows 10 22H2, Intel Core i5-3570, 16GB RAM, NVidia GTX 1050Ti 4GB

Comment

Originally posted by Bhikkhu Pesala View Post
        It looks like the image is already open in another program.
        I wish that helped, but no. Nothing else is running. Even according to the Task Manager....well...there's lots of stuff running, but nothing I recognized as being related to photos.

Comment

Originally posted by JendaLinda View Post
          This might be a permission problem. Try to save the file to a different folder.
          I did that, too. Tried saving to the desktop, then to some of my various photo folders. Nothing matters.

I also deleted Irfanview, then re-installed it. Still nothing.
          Last edited by crunchem; 20.02.2021, 11:51 PM.

Comment

Are you able to save files to these folders in other programs?
            My system: IrfanView 4.62 64bit, Windows 10 22H2, Intel Core i5-3570, 16GB RAM, NVidia GTX 1050Ti 4GB

Comment

Is "...\Users\Fast\Desktop" your personal userpath? You usually cannot write to someone elses desktop.
              Win 10/64 Home 22H2 IrfanView 4.66/64
              Hate has caused a lot of problems in this world, but it has not solved one yet. (Maya Angelou)

Comment

Are you able to save files to these folders in other programs?
                Yes. Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by Kuki Dent View Post
                  Is "...\Users\Fast\Desktop" your personal userpath? You usually cannot write to someone elses desktop.
                  I got all excited when I saw this! That is a line I have just never noticed before on the save screen, and I changed it, but it made no difference. However, when I tried deleting a photo, I got another message that I had to have administrator approval to delete, which I have never seen before. I'm currently poking around trying to figure out how to make myself the admin.

Comment

So I checked the "Run as Admin" box, and saw no difference, still couldn't save or delete.

Comment

Are you using any 3rd party antivirus program?

Comment

Are you using any 3rd party antivirus program?
                        Bingo!! Yay, thank you, thank you. Avast had Irfanview blocked in one of the firewall settings. Whew! Thanks to all for your help!

Comment

I have lost count of the number of problems cause by Antivirus products. The built-in Windows Defender and Firewall is adequate in my opinion. Since I upgraded to Windows 10, that is all the AV I have used. I also run Malwarebytes from time to time, just in case.
                          Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

Working...
                          X