Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help with Transparency/DPI

Hello All!

So I am attempting to change the DPI of a .PNG and save it as transparent as well. I just started using this software today so please ignore any ignorance to my knowledge of the program.

At first, I needed to just change the DPI. So I opened a .PNG, went to Image<Resize/Resample and changed the DPI. Upon Saving As, I did NOT have the Save Transparent Color boxed ticked so when I saved the .PNG, the image was not transparent however I opened the Saved .PNG and checked the new DPI in Paint and it did state that the new image was now 200 DPI from the original 96.

However, going back into Infranview and resaving the .PNG to make it transparent, I am seeing that every time I do that, is it resetting the DPI back to the original 96 when I check it in Paint. I have tried using the original file and the newly saved .PNG file but every time I attempt a Save As..., and try to make it transparent, it is resetting the DPI back to 96.

What am I doing wrong?? HELP PLEASE

DPI is irrelevant except for printing purposes. Increasing the number of pixels in an image using resize/resample will just make it blurred.

What are you trying to do with this PNG image?
    Last edited by Bhikkhu Pesala; 27.04.2021, 11:48 PM.
    Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

Thank you for your response!

The image is needed for printing purposes. I am working with a vendor and the DPI is not high enough for their printing.

Comment

Open the File Information dialog and change the DPI.
        Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

Umm, maybe my original post wasn’t very clear. My apologies. I have changed the DPI but every time I save as, it reverts the DPI back to 96. Perhaps the answer is just not known. All well.

Thanks anyhow.

Comment

It does not revert to 96 dpi for me. Try reopening the file in IrfanView to check the DPI.

Comment

After editing in the File Information dialog you need to save the image to make the change permanent.

currently running 4.56 / 32 bit

Comment

Working...
              X