Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Save for Web / Riot Plugin discountinued?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

riot is best for image compression

Comment

There is nothing we can do about it. It is the developer's decision not to include RIOT plugin anymore. There are options to use standalone RIOT, although they are not as convenient as the internal plugin.

The developer Irfan Skiljan doesn't read this forum, this is only user forum. The only way is to ask him directly for some acceptable solution, so he sees there is a demand for the feature. The contact information is in Help - About IrfanView dialog.
      My system: IrfanView 4.62 64bit, Windows 10 22H2, Intel Core i5-3570, 16GB RAM, NVidia GTX 1050Ti 4GB

Comment

Originally posted by JendaLinda View Post
        The developer Irfan Skiljan doesn't read this forum, this is only user forum. The only way is to ask him directly for some acceptable solution, so he sees there is a demand for the feature. The contact information is in Help - About IrfanView dialog.
        Thanks for that information. I've sent an email asking if the RIOT plugin can be added back in.

If you all do the same then there is more chance that the developer will listen,

Comment

I have also sent Irfan some feedback regarding this.

Comment

Hey guys. RIOT author here. I am reading this forum I understand your disappointment. I am disappointed too that Irfan decided to remove the support for RIOT in IV.
            I don't know why he insists in bundling the plugin and be such a control freak about it. The plugin is large because it has a lot of functionality and making it smaller is not one of my objectives because 1. it would be very hard 2. it 'doesn't provide any benefit to trim a few kilobytes with the current terrabyte harddrives. Also changing the structure to not have two files but one is out of the question.
            My idea was for him to just add the support, meaning a few lines of code allowing RIOT to be called without including it in the plugins distribution. I am taking care of the install since the extended version appeared and this is done for XN View for GIMP too.
            What is very disappointing is that I was a big IV fan and IV was the first host application. Then I got 'some nasty remarks from Irfan that he doesn't want to include a ""monster""

I suggest you don't insist because I doubt he's going to change his mind. I think he has his own idea of what he wants in IV and nothing is going to change his mind, unless he receives like thousands of requests.

As an alternative someone suggested the clipboard or using it as an external editor. These are good choices.
            If you don't care about metadata the clipboard is enough. If you do care, I think saving it at 100% quality and then opening with RIOT is the only choice except for using some kind of automation.

BTW I just released the 64 bit version for XNView MP. Pierre (XN VIew author) had a completely different attitude and he just added the support.
            RIOT 64 bit also works for GIMP and I am pretty sure it works with an existing plugin for Paint.net.
            RIOT developer
            visit the Radical Image Optimization Tool website

Comment

I thought making a small interface plugin to allow using standalone RIOT seamlessly in IrfanView might be an acceptable compromise.

Personally I have no problems using external tools. I use multiple tools for different tasks. However I see some users are used to particular workflow and now they are forced to change it.
              My system: IrfanView 4.62 64bit, Windows 10 22H2, Intel Core i5-3570, 16GB RAM, NVidia GTX 1050Ti 4GB

Comment

Another disappointed user here.

I found another possible workaround. The standalone application allows pasting images from clipboard.
                Great find, thank you for sharing.

Originally posted by njwirf View Post
                wow. Odd reasons not to include it
                Apparently, but must be a valid point from Irfan's point of view.

Done.

Originally posted by luciansabo View Post
                As an alternative someone suggested the clipboard or using it as an external editor. These are good choices.
                OK, CTRL+C CTRL+V is not a big problem

BTW I just released the 64 bit version for XNView MP. Pierre (XN VIew author) had a completely different attitude and he just added the support.
                RIOT 64 bit also works for GIMP and I am pretty sure it works with an existing plugin for Paint.net.
                Thank you for the info and for your effort.
                Last edited by Bhikkhu Pesala; 06.07.2021, 07:32 AM. Reason: Fixed typo

Comment

WOW, that's crazy! I won't upgrade my current version 4.56 and then switch to XNview.

Comment

Hey guys. RIOT author here. I am reading this forum I understand your disappointment. I am disappointed too that Irfan decided to remove the support for RIOT in IV.
                    If you don't care about metadata the clipboard is enough. If you do care, I think saving it at 100% quality and then opening with RIOT is the only choice except for using some kind of automation.

Can you please elaborate what you mean by using the "clipboard" and also how this would work wth Paint.net?
                    Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by dsl25 View Post
                      Can you please elaborate what you mean by using the "clipboard" ?
                      The standalone RIOT application allows to paste pictures from the clipboard. Just copy a picture in any application and paste it in RIOT.

Comment

The standalone RIOT application allows to paste pictures from the clipboard. Just copy a picture in any application and paste it in RIOT.
                        Good to know that, many thanks!

Comment

So I've notices the RIOT plugin has gone... It should be replaced with Save as... and then adjusting the filesize / quality. I have the following problem with this: after saving a file (for Web) in low resolution the quality is kept for the next save operation. I 'distroyed' many images because I forgot to reset the quality after "save for web".

Suggestion: replace the disabled menu option "save for web" with a "save low quality" option with it's own value stored, to prevent mistakes.

Comment

There are now profiles available for saving JPEGs in the Save As dialog. Alternatively you may use the standalone RIOT program and copy/paste pictures there using Windows Clipboard.

Comment

Excuse my limited English. I have signed up solely to express my discomfort at the discontinuation of the RIOT plugin in version 4.58. If you do not reconsider from now on I will use version 4.57, although it is increasingly obsolete.

Comment

The alternative solutions were discussed in this thread.

Comment

Working...
                                X