Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Save for Web / Riot Plugin discountinued?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Very disappointed. I'll keep using an older version of IrfanView compatible with the RIOT plugin.

The new IV functionality to preview the compressed JPEG before saving is much worse than RIOT. Without zoom and pan you can't see the compression artifacts. And you can't chage chroma subsampling and instantly see the effect, etc. Also missing is similar preview functionality for PNG (and for others like JXL or WebP that would be good too).

Comment

If the file size is a concern, you may use one of the more efficient image formats. IrfanView supports WebP, which is supported by most web browsers. Since version 4.59, IrfanView also supports JPEG-XL.

You can still use two completely different versions of IrfanView, older 32 bit and newer 64 bit. They will work independently.
      My system: IrfanView 4.62 64bit, Windows 10 22H2, Intel Core i5-3570, 16GB RAM, NVidia GTX 1050Ti 4GB

Comment

Also disappointed here.
        99% of my IrfanView output was saved with RIOT.
        I love it a great deal and will not be without it, i'll be considering my options.
        Generally all i do is rotate/crop/resize and 'save for web'
        Might look at XNview

Comment

To continue using RIOT optimization software there are two options:
          • Download RIOT from the official website.
            The program supports loading images from files and pasting images using Windows Clipboard. It also allows to do simple image operations (rotation, resizing).
          • Download and install 32 bit version of IrfanView 4.57 and Plugins. Older IrfanView installation packages can be found on this website.
            Both 32 bit and 64 bit versions of IrfanView can be installed on one system, they are completely independent. So for example IrfanView 4.57 32bit and IrfanView 4.59 64bit can be installed simultaneously.
          Further discussion in this topic is needless. The decision was made. The RIOT plugin was deprecated. Instead, support for modern, more efficient image formats is being added to IrfanView. I am closing this topic for now.
          My system: IrfanView 4.62 64bit, Windows 10 22H2, Intel Core i5-3570, 16GB RAM, NVidia GTX 1050Ti 4GB

Comment

Working...
          X