Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Save for Web / Riot Plugin discountinued?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Save for Web / Riot Plugin discountinued?

Hi there,

I've been using the Riot plugin for the past year without no issue.

Today, I've noticed the menu item Save For Web is now grayed out, and it also says discontinued.
    Has anything changed?

I searched online and here on the forum for some other possible topic related to this specif Riot plugin matter to no avail.

Best,
    Andrew

One can still set the file size in the Save As.. dialog.
    I see that the RIOT plugin is still installed.
    See the RIOT author's site for details.
    Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

Thanks Bhikkhu Pesala,

Yes, the Riot dll is still installed but for some reason it is not accessible anymore (see screenshot below).
      I can always use the Riot app separately, only it was very convenient to have it integrated in Irfanview to quickly export compressed images using Riot's algorithm which is very good.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Snipaste_2021-05-29_15-23-01.png
Views:	5671
Size:	29.4 KB
ID:	91523

Comment

Starting with IrfanView 4.58 the RIOT plugin is no longer supported.
        The changelog for 4.58 says: "RIOT PlugIn has been removed (use "Set JPG file size" in JPG save options)"
        Win 10/64 Home 22H2 IrfanView 4.66/64
        Hate has caused a lot of problems in this world, but it has not solved one yet. (Maya Angelou)

Comment

Originally posted by Kuki Dent View Post
          Starting with IrfanView 4.58 the RIOT plugin is no longer supported.
          The changelog for 4.58 says: "RIOT PlugIn has been removed (use "Set JPG file size" in JPG save options)"
          Thanks for confirming, Kuki.

Too bad, Riot is more useful when it comes to saving images for web, having the chance to check the final quality while keeping an eye on the file size.
          I'll use the standalone.

Comment

The Riot plugin is one of the main things I use in Irfanview. Losing it is awful. It has so many more features than just setting the file size. I certainly can't be without it. I have reverted to version 4.57 and will stay there. I have looked at the standalone riot plugin, and while it does the same job, I would then have to open the image in two apps - irfanview to edit and then riot to compress / resize.
            I have donated to Irfanview and would donate again for reinstatement of riot plugin

Comment

There might be some licencing issue. Pngout plugin was also replaced by Optipng, although Pngout gives smaller files when used properly.

I think it should be possible to set the standalone RIOT as an external editor in IrfanView and call it directly.
              My system: IrfanView 4.62 64bit, Windows 10 22H2, Intel Core i5-3570, 16GB RAM, NVidia GTX 1050Ti 4GB

Comment

Originally posted by JendaLinda View Post
                I think it should be possible to set the standalone RIOT as an external editor in IrfanView and call it directly.
                I tried this, but it opens the original image in RIOT - not the image with any edits you've done. My workflow is open the image, do some edits, then 'save for web' and save to a new file. That way you don't have to save an 'intermediate' file that has your edits but is not yet compressed.

much easier to stick with v 4.57

Comment

See the update page for 64-bit RIOT for some explanation why it is no longer included.
                  Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

Hello,

that is a great pity. Here is a picture of a steam locomotive. I reduce the resolution to 40% and save as JPEG with 80% quality:

RIOT: 174kB
                    IrfanView: 210kB (20% larger)

I always use RIOT when I send pictures or especially for pictures on my website.

Too bad.

Best regards

akapuma

Comment

I found another possible workaround. The standalone application allows pasting images from clipboard.
                      My system: IrfanView 4.62 64bit, Windows 10 22H2, Intel Core i5-3570, 16GB RAM, NVidia GTX 1050Ti 4GB

Comment

I found it best to set up RIOT as an external editor. This offers better resampling methods such as B-Spline, which also reduces file size. I guess if you want to make edits in IrfanView then you should first save it as a new file with a 100 quality setting. Use JPG as it allows the retention of EXIF and IPTC data, should you need it. If that data is removed, the file size will be smaller.

Locomotive Image resized 40% resampled with B-Spline, colour subsampling medium, compression quality 80.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Steam Locomotive.jpg
Views:	5754
Size:	249.3 KB
ID:	91612

Last edited by Bhikkhu Pesala; 03.06.2021, 11:55 AM.

Comment

I am so disappointed... RIOT is an integral part of my IrfanView experience, used on an almost-daily basis. I've been using the full version of the RIOT plugin in IrfanView since version 0.5.2, circa 2016.

Please reconsider? None of the alternatives listed above are very appealing.

Comment

Originally posted by Bhikkhu Pesala View Post
                            See the update page for 64-bit RIOT for some explanation why it is no longer included.
                            wow. Odd reasons not to include it

Comment

Originally posted by JendaLinda View Post
                              I found another possible workaround. The standalone application allows pasting images from clipboard.
                              Nice find. Still has downsides though: won't save metadata, also standalone RIOT doesn't know the source folder of the copied image, so you have to choose the output folder when saving. In Irfanview I have 'save for web' set up to save into the source folder by default.

Comment

Working...
                              X