Clear All

Big File very slow

Hi.

Why irfanView load very slow big file ?

Animated gif 36MB:

irfanView x86/x64 6s

firefox 1s

Can you please provide an example file?
    My system: IrfanView 4.62 64bit, Windows 10 22H2, Intel Core i5-3570, 16GB RAM, NVidia GTX 1050Ti 4GB

Comment

Comment

Loading the example file in IrfanView is several times slower than in web browsers.
        The GIF format was never intended for such huge files. I guess IrfanView uses just a basic GIF decoder, which is not optimized for large files, but it is good enough for ordinary GIFs.
        Web browsers can use hardware acceleration and multiple CPU cores to load all web content quickly.
        My system: IrfanView 4.62 64bit, Windows 10 22H2, Intel Core i5-3570, 16GB RAM, NVidia GTX 1050Ti 4GB

Comment

It is not the loading of the file that is slow — that takes only 16 ms on both 32-bit and 64-bit versions.

What takes the time is to render the animation before displaying it.
          Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

That's true, although it doesn't change the fact the whole loading process takes longer than in web browsers.

I don't see a problem here. It's a limitation of the GIF decoder. The decoder would have to be completely rewritten to make it faster and I don't think it's worth it. GIFs of reasonable size work just fine.

Comment

The example animated GIF loads fast in GIFmicro and 7GIF, but takes long in Irfanview to be shown, though the image information says it is loaded in 15 ms.
              Win 10/64 Home 22H2 IrfanView 4.66/64
              Hate has caused a lot of problems in this world, but it has not solved one yet. (Maya Angelou)

Comment

Something is wrong with Irfanview.

Loading gifs very slowly (10MB+) and some gif with artifacts.

Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Bhikkhu Pesala View Post
                  It is not the loading of the file that is slow — that takes only 16 ms on both 32-bit and 64-bit versions.

What takes the time is to render the animation before displaying it.
                  Only 16ms ? on Firefox or Edge its 1ms.

16ms is longer that 100mb jpg on Irfan.

Comment

That is enough on this topic. The question has been answered. Please use another program if you want to view huge animated GIF images.
                    Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

Working...
                    X