Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Recover original images converted (and moved) on NAS / network drive?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Recover original images converted (and moved) on NAS / network drive?

Hi, and firstly, I just wanted to say that I've been using (and recommending) Irfanview since about the late 1800s, so it's about time I said thanks.

Thanks.

Secondly, for the first time EVER, I have done a stupid thing. I've been using IV's 'batch rename' awesomeness to find and grab all my old images from deep within a mess of a directory structure, and move them into a much simpler structure to make use of modern indexing tools and, ahem, improve my backups.

You already know what I've done. Instead of just using the 'batch rename' I accidentally used the 'batch convert' - which I normally use for the web - so now about 2000 original jpgs have been converted into <200kb web files, with no sign of the originals.

Unfortunately the NAS WAS the backup, until the original PC fried, when it became the master. These were old pics so there's a slim chance they are sitting on some old hardware somewhere, but it's unlikely.

I'm inclined to think I'm totally out of luck, because the recycle bins on both the NAS (where the pics are) and the PC (that did the work) have nothing. I just thought this would be the best place to ask the question, as someone here will probably have a much better grasp than me of what happens to the actual bits and bytes in the batch convert and move operation.

😭
    Last edited by Fognozzle; 03.09.2021, 08:25 AM.

Not sure what you actually did, but if the original files was overwritten during the conversion, there's no way to recover them.
    My system: IrfanView 4.62 64bit, Windows 10 22H2, Intel Core i5-3570, 16GB RAM, NVidia GTX 1050Ti 4GB

Comment

Working...
    X