Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is WEBP Format Supported on 64-Bit Version for Windows?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is WEBP Format Supported on 64-Bit Version for Windows?

I need to see WebP files on Windows and have IrfanView 64-bit 4.58 installed. Does the WEBP plug-in work on the 64-bit version?

The instructions on the plug-in page are confusing. First you are told to go to the 64-bit page to see plugins. There are no plugins on that page. Then you get a description that suggests 32-bit plugins will not work on the 64-bit version, but that gets contradicted by some advice to create a Plugins32 folder. The 32-bit plugins are not all clearly labeled as such.

How do I get WebP files working on the 64-bit version?

Just install both 32-bit and 64-bit versions with their plugins. Use the 32-bit version as your default image viewer, but use the 64-bit version for viewing large files like high resolution Photos, where the greater memory support will make a worthwhile difference to file loading speeds.

The first time that you check Help, installed plugins, Microsoft Defender will perform a cloud scan, which will slow down the loading of the plugins list. Thereafter, it will not need to check them again.

Both 32-bit and 64-bit versions support WebP images with the WEBP Weppy 4.57 plugin.
    Last edited by Bhikkhu Pesala; 10.09.2021, 09:18 AM.
    Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

Using both 32 bit and 64 bit versions is confusing and more difficult to maintain. Webp is working in 64 bit version just fine. You can find 64 bit plugins download link here at the bottom of the page:
      My system: IrfanView 4.62 64bit, Windows 10 22H2, Intel Core i5-3570, 16GB RAM, NVidia GTX 1050Ti 4GB

Comment

Originally posted by JendaLinda View Post
        Using both 32 bit and 64 bit versions is confusing and more difficult to maintain. Webp is working in 64 bit version just fine. You can find 64 bit plugins download link here at the bottom of the page:
        https://www.irfanview.com/64bit.htm
        I completely agree that maintaining two versions of one application is just confusing and leads to conflicts going forward.

I was completely lost on how IrfanView organizes the 64-bit plugins. I finally did locate the correct library, downloaded, and WEBP now works.
        Last edited by pone; 10.09.2021, 10:45 PM.

Comment

The two installations are in different folders, and have separate *.ini files. There is no confusion or conflict as long as you read the instructions.
          Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

Originally posted by Bhikkhu Pesala View Post
            The two installations are in different folders, and have separate *.ini files. There is no confusion or conflict as long as you read the instructions.
            Yes, 32 bit and 64 bit versions are completely independent. In my opinion, using two different versions of the same program is not practical. It's an unnecessary complication. Maintaining two sets of settings, file associations etc. It leads to confusion. I wouldn't recommend that.
            My system: IrfanView 4.62 64bit, Windows 10 22H2, Intel Core i5-3570, 16GB RAM, NVidia GTX 1050Ti 4GB

Comment

• If I double-click a RAW image, it opens in IrfanView 64-bit
              • If I double-click a PNG, JPG, or GIF image, it opens in IrfanView 32-bit
              • Each version has a different toolbar, so I can see at a glance which version is in use.
              • If I am browsing with IrfanView 32-bit and open a RAW image, a preview image opens quickly
              • In brief, there are many advantages, and no downsides, apart from reading the free manual.

Comment

Irfan View has default disable WebP format. I must go to Help > Installed Plugins and manual enabled new formats.

Comment

Working...
                X