Avif

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Avif

Love Irfanview, have been using it since it was introduced and am very grateful to have it. Users have brought up this topic before (the first time 18 months ago) and I am surprised it has not been addressed. When, pray tell, will irfanview be updated to support this format or has irfanview reached the end of its usefulness?

AVIF is not fully supported yet, IrfanView can read AVIF images using Windows Imaging Component.

You need to install following components from Microsoft Store:
    HEIF Image Extensions
    AV1 Video Extension
    My system: IrfanView 4.62 64bit, Windows 10 22H2, Intel Core i5-3570, 16GB RAM, NVidia GTX 1050Ti 4GB

Comment

Thank you very much. Didn't realize I could install these without a Microsoft account. I realize there is no privacy left but it's hard to abandon the old ways.

Comment

Hi. I believe Irfanview still does not support this format. Will it ever be supported? These newer formats are gaining popularity and it seems they would be a focus for the programmers here. Relying on MS to be able to open these going forward will soon obsolete this program and reduce or eliminate options for Windows 8.1 and 7 users.
        Last edited by averageguy; 24.03.2022, 10:26 AM. Reason: edited for clarity

Comment

I regularly attempt to open an image file that is mislabeled somehow and Irfanview asks if I want to relabel or convert the file - that would work great in the case of these avif files (and any one of theses other newer formats) - I don't care what extension the file has just that I can open it with irfanview.
          Google pointed me here this morning - https://convertio.co/avif-jpeg/
          Not sure what is going on here, is the file being converted or is it going to chrome or something for the conversion. The quality is degraded. Anyway, just hoping Irfanview can do something so we don't need 3rd parties to use it.

Comment

AVIF is going to be supported by major web browsers, it would make sense if IrfanView supported AVIF on its own. We can talk about that here, but this is just user forum, not developer forum.

IrfanView is developed by just one developer Irfan Skiljan. Have anybody asked him about adding native AVIF support?
            My system: IrfanView 4.62 64bit, Windows 10 22H2, Intel Core i5-3570, 16GB RAM, NVidia GTX 1050Ti 4GB

Comment

Working...
            X