Remove edge noise from scanned TIFF

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Solved Remove edge noise from scanned TIFF

I have multi-page black and white scanned documents that have noise on the edges of the pages. I would like to clean up (remove) the black edges of the pages and then change the canvas size.

For example, I have a several page TIFF file at 300 dpi. The pages are currently 2560 x 3300 pixels. I would like to end up with 2550 x 3300 pixels and the inside 1/2 inch (150 pixels) replace black noise with clean white edge.

The manual process would be canvas size to 2250 x 3000 which removes the black noise, then canvas size 2550 x 3300 to add the clean white page edge and crop at same time. Then do that for every page in multi-page TIFF.

I have looked at "Add border/frame...", but not sure if that will help. This is not a one-time process on a single scanned document, so looking to automate as much as possible.

I am using IrfanView 4.59 (64-bit) with the current "All Plugins" installed.

I think extract multi-page to separate images and use batch process.

Comment

"Batch Conversion/Rename..." worked great. Using the "Advanced" conversion options I was able to:

"CROP" down to 2250 x 3000, then "Canvas size" up to 2550 x 3300 and also Apply changes to all pages (TIF/PDF saving). All the pages in all the TIF files completed in a single process. Great!

Next step is to see if I can figure out the command-line to see if this could be even more fool-proof.

Comment

After making the adjustments in the Advanced Batch Conversion dialog and saving it to "MyIniFolder\i_view64.ini" the following command seems to work as desired for me.
        (I trimmed the full paths for easier reading)
        Code:
        i_view64.exe MyStart.tif /ini="MyIniFolder\" /advancedbatch /convert=MyDone.tif /tifc=4
        Next step:
        Any suggestions on how I could make this work via drag and drop? Where I could drag "MyFile.tif" to a batch file and IrfanView would do the conversion and save "MyFileDone.tif" with new name in same folder as source?

Comment

This should work for a single file, so you need to drag and drop one file at a time.
          Code:
          i_view64.exe %1 /ini="MyIniFolder\" /advancedbatch /convert="%~d1%~p1%~n1_done%~x1" /tifc=4
          • %1 is the full file path of the dropped file
          • %~d1 extracts the drive letter
          • %~p1 extracts the file path (folder)
          • %~n1 extracts the file name
          • _done adds "_done" at the end of the file name
          • %~x1 extracts the file extension
          For more information see command FOR /?
          Last edited by JendaLinda; 06.01.2022, 08:37 AM.
          My system: IrfanView 4.62 64bit, Windows 10 22H2, Intel Core i5-3570, 16GB RAM, NVidia GTX 1050Ti 4GB

Comment

Thank you JendaLinda, Drag-n-drop worked perfectly.
            Thank you also for suggesting I look the documentation for Windows FOR command.

Comment

Working...
            X