Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Disabling 'Use Resample for zooming' has no effect on small images when browsing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Disabling 'Use Resample for zooming' has no effect on small images when browsing

Hi IrfanView developer(s) and contributor(s)
    I've been using IrfanView for several years now, I find it a very fast and convenient image viewer. I use it regularly at work under Windows 10 and at home under MacOS Monterey (Crossover).

There's a small consistency issue I find with this option on current v4.5.9 and previous versions:
    • View / Display options (window mode) / Use Resample for zooming
    Context:
    I'd like to display small images (smaller than Irfanview's window) stretched to fit the window with no resampling/softening/antialiasing of any kind so the pixels are clearly visible as such (square picture elements).

I think this should a straight-forward thing with these settings:
    Click image for larger version  Name:	Captura de pantalla 2022-01-07 a las 11.32.57 copy.png Views:	0 Size:	155.8 KB ID:	93583

What happens:
    1. 'Use Resample for zooming' disabled works properly when manually zooming-in the image using the magnifier buttons: it displays the zoomed-in image pixelated as expected.
    2. 'Use Resample for zooming' disabled does not work as I would expect when navigating from another image to it: it displays the image resampled (blurry, see the text, numbers and lines on the screenshot above).
    What was expected to happen:
    'Use Resample for zooming' disabled --> display the image pixelated in all cases where Irfanview has to zoom the image in for fitting to the window size, be it navigating through images or zooming-in the image in question.

Example:
    (lines and dots are crispy; text, although antialiased by the tool that generates the image, is seen crispy)
    Click image for larger version  Name:	Captura de pantalla 2022-01-07 a las 12.01.13 copy.png Views:	0 Size:	52.9 KB ID:	93582

Is this behaviour by design? I mean, with 'fit images to window' selected, only to take into account the 'Use Resample for fitting' setting and not the 'Use resampling for zooming' setting, even when the image will be automatically zoomed-in in order to fit window size?

Oh, in full screen mode, the same thing happens with the equivalent settings set similarly: zooming in and out displays images pixelated, navigating displays small images resampled:
    Click image for larger version  Name:	Captura de pantalla 2022-01-07 a las 12.31.52 copy.png Views:	0 Size:	124.0 KB ID:	93584

I start to think that this is by design, but, could it be possible to add a setting or change current behaviour so resampling is not used in the 'zoom-in small images to fit' case?

Thank you!
    Jose
    Last edited by Jose A. P.; 07.01.2022, 12:08 PM.

Resample for zooming and fitting are two different things. Resample for zooming applies to manual zooming. Resample for fitting applies to automatic fitting of both smaller and larger images..
    My system: IrfanView 4.59 64bit, Windows 10 21H2, Intel Core i5-3570, 16GB RAM, AMD Radeon RX550 2GB

Comment

Working...
    X