Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Batch conversion delete

Good afternoon everyone.

I don't think this is possible, but I would like to ask the following question.

I have a few hundred images (jpg) like the one attached, where the word "GARTH" appears in the top left corner.

I would like to delete that word from all the strips, of course I can do that one by one.

The question I would like to ask is if anyone can give me an idea how to do it in "Batch conversion".

Thank you very much in advance for any suggestions.
    Attached Files

You need to Batch Crop the top border.

In the Batch Conversion dialog, tick the 'Use advanced options' and click 'Advanced'. Set the Crop options.

Read the File Menu | Batch Conversions page of the Irfanview Help.

Take note of this text:

"Hint: for Batch Crop: Width and/or height can be negative numbers to allow cropping on right/bottom border. X and/or Y can be also negative numbers if the center start corner is used. Example: start corner is Left-top, if width is set to -10, resulting image will be cropped 10 pixels on the right border. Another example: you want to cut 100 pixels on all borders, then you set: Corner = Left-top, X = 100, Y = 100, W = -100 and H = -100."

Experiment.

Don't trash your source images. Make a copy of a few in a new folder and play with these until you get the crop settings right.

Click image for larger version

Name:	BC.png
Views:	397
Size:	28.5 KB
ID:	93599

Comment

Also, JPEG is not a suitable format for this kind of pictures. It's not very efficient and introduces lots of pixel noise (JPEG artifacts). PNG would be much better choice.

However there's already lot of pixel noise in your picture, so you might want to get rid of it.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Clipboard01.png Views:	0 Size:	1.5 KB ID:	93601

The original picture is black and white, so you may reduce the color depth to 2 colors.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Clipboard02.png Views:	0 Size:	3.9 KB ID:	93602
      My system: IrfanView 4.62 64bit, Windows 10 22H2, Intel Core i5-3570, 16GB RAM, NVidia GTX 1050Ti 4GB

Comment

Thank you, I am going to try.

Comment

Name:	Add overlay.gif
Views:	475
Size:	52.8 KB
ID:	93607 You can also use batch to paste a white box over the GARTH in the corner. See "Add watermark image" settings
          Last edited by IrfanUserGuyxyx; 10.01.2022, 12:54 AM.

Comment

To begin I must thank you for your suggestions and give you an overview of my experiences so far.

So far, the situation that has worked was to crop the image by defining the area of the image that I wanted to preserve.
            The suggestion of inserting a blank image, at least for me, does not work, because a "watermark" is inserted, and therefore the word remains visible.

Too bad the "EDIT - Cut Selection" option is not possible in batch conversion (at least I don't see how...), because it would be the best chance in my opinion.

As for the suggestion of using the png format, the problem is that the original images already have a lot of noise and even transforming them to png, which I already do with the "2 colors..." option, the result is never brilliant.

Anyway, thanks again

Comment

Originally posted by ar01 View Post
              As for the suggestion of using the png format, the problem is that the original images already have a lot of noise and even transforming them to png, which I already do with the "2 colors..." option, the result is never brilliant.
              Don't forget to turn off the Floyd-Steinberg dithering. Conversion to 2 colors makes all pixels either pure white or pure black with nothing in between, effectively removing the noise. It's important to turn off the dithering, so it won't attempt to dither the grays. Then the picture can be saved to PNG. Using JPEG again would introduce even more noise into the image.
              My system: IrfanView 4.62 64bit, Windows 10 22H2, Intel Core i5-3570, 16GB RAM, NVidia GTX 1050Ti 4GB

Comment

@JendaLinda

Once again thank you very much

Even with your last suggestion and as before I was saying the result is good, but as I usually say, miracles are difficult.

I attach for your appreciation 3 strips "Garth 058 - B162" the "0" is the original jpg, the "1" is the result of the decrease to "2 colours..." with the Floyd-Steinberg dithering active and the "2" with the Floyd-Steinberg dithering inactive (all from the original)

If you come to any conclusion for improvement, I thank you in advance

Comment

Sorry forgot the files
                  Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by ar01 View Post
                    Sorry forgot the files
                    In this case, the source image is smoother, so conversion to 2 colors doesn't work well. I was considering the picture in your first post.

Perhaps somebody can suggest a better option. Cleaning the picture is more tricky. Saving the picture in JPEG again doesn't make it any better. Grayscale PNG produces a bigger file, because of the noise. However, I tried to convert the picture to 16 colors, it looks pretty much the same as the original and the PNG file is smaller. You may try to play with the dithering options and enable the better color quality option.

Comment

In batch paste, did you set transparency to 0%?

These settings worked for me:

Name:	capture_11012022_174554.jpg
Views:	250
Size:	135.3 KB
ID:	93631
                      Last edited by IrfanUserGuyxyx; 11.01.2022, 10:47 PM.

Comment

@ IrfanUserGuyxyx

You're absolutely right it works.

Quite honestly in the experiments I did I followed at the time the settings shown in the image of your previous suggestion where the "overlay" was at 100%, and only now that you alerted me to the situation did I understand the meaning of "Overlay Transparency".

Thank you very much,

Comment

I had made that same mistake in the first post, i guess...

Comment

Working...
                          X