Windows 11 Default issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Solved Windows 11 Default issues

There is an issue with file associations in Windows 11 that stops jpeg and png files from being set as defaults,Windows 10 instructions do not work in Windows 11. Is there a new workaround for this problem? just wondering. Email me a solution if there is one at:
    Last edited by Bhikkhu Pesala; 16.01.2022, 09:24 PM. Reason: Removed email address

The only people likely to email you are spammers and scammers. If you want to know when there is a reply to your post, enable notifications to send you an email.
    Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

This is a bug in Windows 11. To prevent that, don't let IrfanView to set the file association in the registry.
      1. Don't do any file association during IrfanView installation.
      2. Set the file association manually for individual file types using File Explorer.
      3. In IrfanView, in Settings ? Extensions, use "Load custom file types" and write all desired file extensions here.
      Instructions to fix the broken system are discussed in this topic.
      My system: IrfanView 4.62 64bit, Windows 10 22H2, Intel Core i5-3570, 16GB RAM, NVidia GTX 1050Ti 4GB

Comment

It is clearly not a bug in IrfanView as Windows 11 is not officially supported yet. See the download page:
        • Supports Windows XP, Vista, 7, 8, and 10
        Windows 11 users will have to wait until Irfan Skiljan releases a version tested on Windows 11. He may not even have a copy of it yet.
        When version 4.59 comes out, if it officially supports Windows 11, then we can look again at this issue.

Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

With the precautions above, IrfanView will run on Windows 11 just fine.

Windows is expected to run most older programs, it is not IrfanView's fault that Windows can break so easily. This is clearly an oversight by Microsoft.
          My system: IrfanView 4.62 64bit, Windows 10 22H2, Intel Core i5-3570, 16GB RAM, NVidia GTX 1050Ti 4GB

Comment

Maybe it's still a raw version of Windows 11? Are you sure you have a licensed version?

Comment

Try to Uninstall Photos App. This worked for me 9 times out of 10.
              How to Uninstall Photos App on Windows 11/10
              type in search:
              powershell
              Open as administrator
              Type:
              Get-AppxPackage *photos* | Remove-AppxPackage

and "Enter"
              Reboot.

Comment

I tried Windows 11, but I didn't like this operating system. Version 11 has a new interface that I'm not used to. I used Windows 11 for a week, but then I reinstalled version 10. Moreover, I decided to buy a license activation key. All the time I was using a pirate version, but many people advised me to try the licensed version of the OS. I found where the best place to buy a Windows activation key was through reddit. I have no regrets about the money spent.
                Last edited by MikeFletcher; 05.02.2023, 06:03 PM.

Comment

The only way I could get it to work properly was to use a Power Shell Window as administrator and give the command to remove the Microsoft Photos app.
                  That app was somehow blocking IrfanView.

Comment

Originally posted by CornelD View Post
                    Try to Uninstall Photos App. This worked for me 9 times out of 10.
                    How to Uninstall Photos App on Windows 11/10
                    type in search:
                    powershell
                    Open as administrator
                    Type:
                    Get-AppxPackage *photos* | Remove-AppxPackage

and "Enter"
                    Reboot.
                    This worked 100% for me, and in fact, get rid of windows app bloating the system for an app you like is always good. So thank you, and I recommend everyone to use this trick.

Comment

Working...
                    X